Comments on The London Map please - digital panoramic phot..

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 19, 2005 7:16:47 PM

Hi,
I have spent the last year shooting The London map
(<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
of it.
Thanks
Peter
January 20, 2005 1:44:00 PM

Terrific site. As a frequent visitor to London from the USA it was
enormous fun to see that you caughts several of my favorite places.
Maybe one thing you could do at some point is focus a bit more on the
tube system and railway stations....what's near main stations, or even a
few shots of the big public areas in stations...good orientation for the
traveler. . In some cases you've done that, but once one gets thinking....

Cheers,

/ron

Peter Watts wrote:
> Hi,
> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
> London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
> of it.
> Thanks
> Peter
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:31:32 PM

"Peter Watts" <peter71cgwatts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
> London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
> of it.
> Thanks
> Peter

Impressive bit of work, great fun exploring the various places.

Mike
January 20, 2005 3:31:33 PM

Mike Mc wrote:
> "Peter Watts" <peter71cgwatts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
>> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots
>> of London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
>> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
>> of it.
>> Thanks
>> Peter
>

> Impressive bit of work, great fun exploring the various places.
>
> Mike

My daughter and granddaughter just returned from London. Too bad they
didn't know about this beforehand. Marvelous experience on its own.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

On 19 Jan 2005 16:16:47 -0800, peter71cgwatts@hotmail.com (Peter
Watts) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have spent the last year shooting The London map
>(<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
>London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
>comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
>of it.

Superb, well done, great idea. I love the little direction arm on the
map that moves when you rotate the panorama.

It's been a few years since I last visited London, and even then I was
only out & about at night. I have a question: Hungerford bridge is a
foot bridge right? Looking at the North bank from there, I can see
Charring Cross Station. But where is the Charring Cross Railway
Bridge? - is it underneath me?

Anyway, suggestions for improvement:

More locations: Visit each campus of the various London Universities,
many have attractive courtyards. How about some inside-pub shots?

Time of day: Re-visit each location and do a night/dusk version. (You
might not be able to access some of the parks, but the rest would be
cool), then give the user some method of switching times.

Enlarge panorama files. They are a little small and need to be the
highest quality jpeg setting because of the way people peer at the
details in this type of image.

Still, it's a great site.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Peter Watts <peter71cgwatts@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
> London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
> of it.
> Thanks
> Peter

Nice pics and a well-implemented site. Very enjoyable. Little slow even
on 1Mbit broadband, mind...

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Anonymous

In article <btcvu05fth7s19qkggu5kbck2dilsmc3b6@4ax.com>,
Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It's been a few years since I last visited London, and even then I was
>only out & about at night. I have a question: Hungerford bridge is a
>foot bridge right? Looking at the North bank from there, I can see
>Charring Cross Station. But where is the Charring Cross Railway
>Bridge? - is it underneath me?

There are two Hungerford foot bridges. They run either side of Charring
Cross Bridge, on the same level, like this:

------------- H B ----------------
-----------------------|
================================== Charring |
=============C X B================ Cross |
================================== Station |
-----------------------|
------------- H B ----------------

If you are on the downstream Hungerford Bridge, with your back to Charring
Cross Bridge, you are looking towards The City, with St Pauls Cathedral
being one of your most prominent landmarks. If you are on the upstream
Hungerford Bridge, with your back to Charring Cross Bridge, you are looking
towards the Palace of Westminster (Parliament), and the London Eye.
January 21, 2005 1:43:27 PM

Great idea, tons of work. Thanks so much! Really a lot of fun to look at.
The suggestions that a poster made for how to improve-- really! When I was
in school, we'd tell those who were always making suggestions and didn't
want to do any of the work-- get out there and do it yourself.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:57:42 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:43:27 +0100, "MB" <marciabeinhauer@t-online.de>
wrote:

>Great idea, tons of work. Thanks so much! Really a lot of fun to look at.

>The suggestions that a poster made for how to improve-- really! When I was
>in school, we'd tell those who were always making suggestions and didn't
>want to do any of the work-- get out there and do it yourself.

And when I was at school, if someone *asked* for suggestions and then
had a problem receiving them, they'd get a kick in the teeth.

Read the OP, he clearly says "I would appreciate comments /
suggestions on where to go from here"

What part of that don't you understand?

--
Owamanga!
January 21, 2005 9:46:21 PM

Peter Watts <peter71cgwatts@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
> London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
> of it.
> Thanks
> Peter

Great idea, one small point - using a Java player means you don't get
the perspective correction if you'd used QuickTime, you get a more
'imersive' experience, so to speak. You could then most probably create
larger images. For full screen panoramams have a look at:

http://www.panoramas.dk/

For a similar theme, possibly slightly slicker:

http://home.vrway.com
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:51:59 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:31:32 GMT, "Mike Mc"
<mike.cedarhouse@virgin.net> wrote:

>"Peter Watts" <peter71cgwatts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
>> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
>> London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
>> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
>> of it.
>> Thanks
>> Peter

Very nice. I'd second the comment about more locations. Also, how
about a short sound file that plays while you're at a particular
location? Wind through the trees and people playing in the parks,
cars on the streets, etc. Give it more of a 'You're There' feel.

Peter
!