Nikon Coolpix 8800

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 19, 2005 7:29:35 PM

I bought my 8800 before it occurred to me to look in here for reviews.
I'm suprised by the negative tone of some of the comments as I'm really
pleased with it. Admittedly I'm a beginner and don't have any
experience of other cameras in the same price bracket but the results
I've been getting seem pretty good to me. Some samples (reduced res)
here:

http://www.theparkestate.com/galleryalbum63.html

I wanted to replace my old film SLR with something more compact that
would do extreme macro and decent telephoto without a bagful of lenses.
I think it was money well spent.

Paul

More about : nikon coolpix 8800

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:23:54 PM

I have the 8400, for wide angle shots. I really like it. It is rugged
and nice. It is one of the best cameras money can buy. I would not
exchanges it for the Canon D20 that my friend has got.

regs,

Mads
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:24:38 PM

PaulH wrote:
> I bought my 8800 before it occurred to me to look in here for reviews.
> I'm suprised by the negative tone of some of the comments as I'm
> really pleased with it. Admittedly I'm a beginner and don't have any
> experience of other cameras in the same price bracket but the results
> I've been getting seem pretty good to me. Some samples (reduced res)
> here:
>
> http://www.theparkestate.com/galleryalbum63.html
>
> I wanted to replace my old film SLR with something more compact that
> would do extreme macro and decent telephoto without a bagful of
> lenses. I think it was money well spent.

And equipment well used. Good work.

The fern shoot reminds me that "fiddleheads" are a delicacy food, for
some. Uh-huh.

--
Frank ess

Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
-Deepak Gupta
January 19, 2005 10:53:17 PM

The negative tones are because this camera, which is loosely based on the
5700 of two years & change ago, isn't really much advanced beyond the VR
lens feature.

Meanwhile, most other such cameras have a mechanical zoom lens and better
EVFs, and are quicker in response. In the 5700's hey-day--incidentally,
5700's are a great camera at the $400-450 price-point they typically sell
for nowadays--but anyway in its hey-day the speed of operation of a camera
like it & the 8800 would've been fine, but not these days.

I have a 5700, and a Canon Digital Rebel D-SLR (yes, Nikon AND Canon--rare)
The DR is one of the slower D-SLRs there is, and it still will blow away
most any modern EVF camera slam out of the water in speed of operation--to
say nothing of usefulness of higher ISO values and real-time TTL view rather
than an EVF which is inferior to a TTL view.

Plus, barring a major change in lens mount design, the lenses I buy for it
will be transferable to any newer models I move up to down the road. By
contrast, any investment in an "all-in-one" means you lose everything once
the camera doesn't compete with more modern designs.

LRH

"PaulH" <webmaster@theparkestate.com> wrote in message
>I bought my 8800 before it occurred to me to look in here for reviews.
> I'm suprised by the negative tone of some of the comments as I'm really
> pleased with it. Admittedly I'm a beginner and don't have any
> experience of other cameras in the same price bracket but the results
> I've been getting seem pretty good to me. Some samples (reduced res)
> here:
>
> http://www.theparkestate.com/galleryalbum63.html
>
> I wanted to replace my old film SLR with something more compact that
> would do extreme macro and decent telephoto without a bagful of lenses.
> I think it was money well spent.
>
> Paul

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:11:55 AM

PaulH wrote:
> I bought my 8800 before it occurred to me to look in here for reviews.
> I'm suprised by the negative tone of some of the comments as I'm
> really pleased with it.

I would have bought an 8800 as a "Nikon regular", but the 5MP Panasonic
FZ20 struck me as better value for money, particularly with its 36 - 432mm
Leica lens which stays at f/2.8 throughout the zoom range (rather than
closing down to f/4.9 at the telephoto end as the Nikon does).

Don't be put off by the negative comments of the brigade for whom only an
SLR will do! Yes, the sensitivity of an SLR is better, but you pay more
for equivalent facilities and it's a lot more bulk and weight to lug
around.

You will get excellent pictures from the 8800 so do enjoy it!

Cheers,
David
!