Phenom II x4 955 showing up with 3 cores

flashfir

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I turned on my computer this morning and I came back to it and the screen didn't show anything. Weird. So I just hit the hard reset button and it gave me a message saying "overclocking failed".

Apparently it ran some sort of overclocking tool when I turned it on without touching anything...

Asus m4a77td is my mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131603

NOW it shows up like this in windows
9553core.png

But when I go to my BIOS it recognizes the 4 cores... Weird. I'm going to check the bios again.

Solution
Yes, try resetting the bios. Turn off the computer, unplug it, remove the "watch battery" on the motherboard. Wait like 10 seconds, put it back in. Plug her in and boot her back up.

The "overclocking failed" message is just the message asus motherboards give if the computer shut down unexpectedly, by itself, usually before reaching windows. It assumes that you tried overclocking and it failed because the computer crashed.
Yes, try resetting the bios. Turn off the computer, unplug it, remove the "watch battery" on the motherboard. Wait like 10 seconds, put it back in. Plug her in and boot her back up.

The "overclocking failed" message is just the message asus motherboards give if the computer shut down unexpectedly, by itself, usually before reaching windows. It assumes that you tried overclocking and it failed because the computer crashed.

Solution

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
If resetting the BIOS doesn't work, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> System Configuration, Boot tab, Advanced Options, and make sure "Number of processors" isn't ticked. If it is, untick it, OK, OK, Reboot.

flashfir

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Figured itself out/had to reset the board today since it wasn't posting. Scary...

Thanks for the tips. Ends up I can just jumper the CMOS TRAM or something like that instead of the battery.

Currently up and running a-okay so we'll see how things go.

Fancy motherboard :D