Which Video Card Config to stay current?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am trying to decide which video card configuration would make most sense going into the next few years, I currently have a crossfire capable motherboard and one 5770, plain and simply i need more gpu to game at 1920X1080. Does it make more sense to get another used 5770 from a friend for around $80 or sell my current 5770 on ebay and then go for a single powerful card, or possible wait for the 6 series. I also like the gtx 470 but will not be able to sli with my current rig so that is a huge drawback. Also I plan on upgrading to a thuban or 965 be processor in the near future to help with any potential underpowered cpu scenarios. Please give me some advise on which direction to head in for upgrades on gaming performance.

My current rig:

AMD athlon II X2 240 (clocked at 3.6 ghz)
4 gig corsair 1600 ddr3
tx650 corsair psu
MSI 890gxm-g65
Hitachi 1 tb hd 7200rpm
dell 22\" lcd 1920X1200 60hz
6 120 mm case fans
Thermaltake r1 cpu cooler
Thermaltake v3
XFX 5770
Lite-on DVD drive

I mainly play shooters like BFBC2, and some gta IV (which i know i need a nice quad core for), so keep in mind those type of game demands

All opinions and help welcome,

Thanks

Solution
I'm thinking you should get another 5770, keeping in mind you will upgrade some time in 2011/2012. It will take time for the 6000 series cards to come down in price. You could go with a single GTX470 that will last you a couple years, but it would be a lot more expensive than your friend's $80 card, and as you said, unable to upgrade to SLI.

Basically, it is wait and see time, and way too early to sell your card and pin your hopes on the new generation that will only be improved over time, both in price and performance. Get another cheap 5770, and enjoy good crossfire performance that will tackle most games at 1080 resolution for at least a couple years to come.
I'm thinking you should get another 5770, keeping in mind you will upgrade some time in 2011/2012. It will take time for the 6000 series cards to come down in price. You could go with a single GTX470 that will last you a couple years, but it would be a lot more expensive than your friend's $80 card, and as you said, unable to upgrade to SLI.

Basically, it is wait and see time, and way too early to sell your card and pin your hopes on the new generation that will only be improved over time, both in price and performance. Get another cheap 5770, and enjoy good crossfire performance that will tackle most games at 1080 resolution for at least a couple years to come.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Sounds about right. With all the new stuff coming on new sockets, now really isn't the time to buy. I'm not sure I'd buy a 9xx either. Stay with your OC'd x2, and get the other 5770. (will be bottlenecked a bit, but shouldn't be horrible.) Once all the new parts launch, should be by this time next year, you can look at either buying the 9xx or a new system. With the new parts being launched the current stuff should be cheaper.

At 1920x1200, with BFBC2 and GTA IV, I'd suggest an ATI 5850 or better.

Since you have an ATI 5770 already, the way to go is probably to add a second 5770 and run them in Crossfire. This should give you performance slightly better than a single ATI 5850, and would be the cheaper option right now.

Also keep in mind, BFBC2 and GTA IV both like Quad Core CPUs. :)

what are you refering to when you say 9xx, bulldozer? or just a new amd socket type?

I would think he means a Phenom II x4 like the 965 you mentioned. I'm not sure I agree though. That upgrade would be a lot cheaper than a more expensive processor plus a new motherboard and a Phenom II x4, especially when OCed, should be very adequate for gaming for a long time to come. If you are the gambling sort there is an OEM Phenom II x2 for just $75 on newegg at the moment. Odds are good(75%+) that it can unlock into a x4 for half the price.

yes i agree with you, even though my mobo supports core unlock it is not worth the risk of not having the 4 cores after installation, I will probly go for a 955 be, overclock it, and grab another 5770. Bulldozer and sandy bridge can wait in a couple years from now, they too will be lowered prices, people are dumb to go out and buy completley new tech the minute it comes out, you generally get the most bugs, infantile software, firmware, and drivers to accompany it and at the highest price premium. The 955 is a proven winner and I agree that it will be good for years to come, once i get it to about 3.8-4.0 ghz and if not it is still very capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.