Sign in with
Your question

5850 & WMC Watching Live TV

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2010 10:45:03 PM

I have the damnest thing going on with my new XFX 5850. I have spent the last 3 days benching, burn ins, etc. Yesterday I use driver sweep to remove all old drivers & updated to CCC 10.9. After I update CCC I notice a big performance drop in GPU Z. My core speed was at 400MHz (before CCC update 725MHz) & memory at 900MHz (before update 1125MHz). I am getting maybe 20 FPS in MW2 after this.
Today I was digging around, thinking clean install which I do not want to do (not now). I was watching live TV through WMC & I had GPU Z open on the 2nd monitor. I closed WMC & right away notice the core speed went back up to 725MHz & memory jumped to 1125MHz. So I reopened WMC & both stayed the same, until I click on live TV. Then both dropped back down to default speeds (core 400MHz/memory 900MHz).
Has anyone heard of this happen, I searched online with no luck?

More about : 5850 wmc watching live

October 14, 2010 1:46:45 AM

BIG EDIT. READ THIS FIRST.

Make sure you have NO FLASH VIDEO open when playing games. Forgot about that. flash video will lock the card at 400 even when you game(takes a good hit in just cause 2). If you must use flash video while in games. disable hardware acceleration in flash. Close all web browsers even a paused video will do this.

Youtube + Flash 10.1 + hardware acceleration = a card locked at 400....

Old post..........\/

The drivers have down-clock the card to save power and keep the fan as quiet as it can be. This will speed up as soon as you need the speed. It bumps up for the 3d interface in MCE and will run 400 when watching dvd/pvr.

Everything is normal. My 5870 and 5770 both go to 157 at idle while my 4350 drops to 110.

If your games are slower, there must be some other issue. but dropping speed at idle is normal.

Set gpuz to log and make sure the card is clocking up in games

For a last shot, maybe try one driver revision back.

note the 100% fan slider, my friend wanted my computer to be louder.
m
l
October 14, 2010 8:18:02 PM

nukemaster said:
BIG EDIT. READ THIS FIRST.

Make sure you have NO FLASH VIDEO open when playing games. Forgot about that. flash video will lock the card at 400 even when you game(takes a good hit in just cause 2). If you must use flash video while in games. disable hardware acceleration in flash. Close all web browsers even a paused video will do this.

Youtube + Flash 10.1 + hardware acceleration = a card locked at 400....
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8994/youtubeif.jpg

Old post..........\/

The drivers have down-clock the card to save power and keep the fan as quiet as it can be. This will speed up as soon as you need the speed. It bumps up for the 3d interface in MCE and will run 400 when watching dvd/pvr.

Everything is normal. My 5870 and 5770 both go to 157 at idle while my 4350 drops to 110.

If your games are slower, there must be some other issue. but dropping speed at idle is normal.

Set gpuz to log and make sure the card is clocking up in games

For a last shot, maybe try one driver revision back.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3366/idledp.jpg
note the 100% fan slider, my friend wanted my computer to be louder.

Thanks for response, very good info. I don't normally have any issues with a browser being open when gaming. My problem happens only watching live TV on Windows Media Center & games. It throttles back up when I close out of live TV but with Windows Media Center still open.

I understand the card will throttle down when no 3D is present, but it never throttles back up when 3D starts & live TV. I would guess it's the same as flash & 3D.

I guess there is no fix for this, only close everything out before any 3D.

Again, thanks for the info.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2010 12:16:52 AM

Yeah, i never run media center when playing games. this is mostly since media center is used on another system. You are very correct that it will stay clocked down with media center or at least for sure with any accelerated video running.
m
l
October 31, 2010 1:51:31 PM

It still does not make sense. I am upgrading from sapphire 4870 & never had this problem berfore. I even install win7 on an extra HD to see what happens & ran WMC & Modern warfare 2 at the same time. I just need to bite the bullet & do a clean install.

Thanks,
m
l
October 31, 2010 2:02:55 PM

By the way when I installed wins7 on extra HD it worked, clock ran @ 725MHz & memory @ 1125MHz with no problems.
m
l
October 31, 2010 2:13:14 PM

OK, I get it, I am a little slow at times.

Thanks,
m
l
!