Help with VPA 3.62e and Wormhole add on

Last response: in Video Games
June 2, 2004 6:08:41 PM

I haven't been able to process my latest turn files using vpa. The
only thing different about the current turn files is that I received
wormhole messages from Animal Tech games Worm program. Unfortunately
the message generated by the add on does not match the message
template in the vpa.msg file. Since my game seems to freeze upon
attempting to read the player messages I think these wormhole messages
are the problem. Question- has anyone created a vpa message template
for these particular wormhole messages? Can you provide the template
so I can run the turn ?

; *** Wormhole
Message Wormhole
;Check 1,[Sub Space Message]
;Check 3,1,From
Check [Our scanners detected a wormhole]
Id [(ID #],[ID #],[)]
X [at location],[location]
Y [at location],[,,],[(]
Mass [Appears],[at:],[KT]
Stable [Appears],[Appears]
;Mass [in size],[is],[KT]
;Stable [appears to be],[appears to be]
End

More about : vpa 62e wormhole add

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 12:56:20 AM

Hi,

Kommisar wrote:
> I haven't been able to process my latest turn files using vpa. The
> only thing different about the current turn files is that I received
> wormhole messages from Animal Tech games Worm program.

Question one: what's 'Animal Tech'?
Question two: where do I get VPA 3.62e? :-)

> Unfortunately
> the message generated by the add on does not match the message
> template in the vpa.msg file. Since my game seems to freeze upon
> attempting to read the player messages I think these wormhole messages
> are the problem.

I would have to see such a message to write a template.

However, I think VPA assumes at several places that wormholes follow
PHost's rules. Because I do not know 'Animal Tech', I cannot tell
whether VPA could out-of-the-box handle your wormholes or not.

Stefan
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 11:30:11 AM

Stefan Reuther <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message news:<c9o39l.po.1@stefan.msgid.phost.de>...

> Question one: what's 'Animal Tech'?

I think this is the name of the company that made the wormhole
program. We are not using Phost in this game so I think the host is
using this add-on to run the wormholes

> Question two: where do I get VPA 3.62e? :-)

Doh! I believe I am using 3.62a

> I would have to see such a message to write a template.

I could send the RST file to you by email. I don't want to post the
message to the newsgroup because this is an ongoing planets game.
June 4, 2004 11:49:56 PM

Kommisar wrote:
> Stefan Reuther <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote:
>>Question one: what's 'Animal Tech'?
>
> I think this is the name of the company that made the wormhole
> program. We are not using Phost in this game so I think the host is
> using this add-on to run the wormholes

Never heard of that one, therefore I think VPA does not include explicit
support for your add-on (unless the add-on tries to emulate PHost /
worm.exe).

>>I would have to see such a message to write a template.
>
> I could send the RST file to you by email. I don't want to post the
> message to the newsgroup because this is an ongoing planets game.

I saw you posted it at SF? Anyway, send the RST. And a link to the
wormhole program if possible, so I can take a look.

Rule #1 of talking to a programmer: the easier you make it for me, the
better your chance that your problem ends in the top-5 of my todo list :-)

Stefan
!