Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New PC, GFX Card: $120-180 for future dual card setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2010 11:23:28 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a month

BUDGET RANGE: $120-180

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Civ 5, Battlefield series), 3D Rendering (SketchUp, 3DS Max, Thea Render), Photoshop, AutoCAD

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: New build- Likely a 850 Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Again likely setup- Thermaltake Element V Case, i7-940 processor, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R MB, G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm more familiar with Radeons at this point- am I missing out by not looking at GeForce more closely?

OVERCLOCKING: Not at this time, maybe down the road (with additional cooling etc)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I would love a card that I can get a second one of in 6 months when i have the cash to make this thing a BEAST

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Current is 1680x1050, might upgrade down the road

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Along with a possible upgrade to Crossfire/SLI, I would love the option to run dual-monitors (More for productivity apps than gaming). My hand is being forced to build this sooner rather than later, so I'm trying to get a gret build for now that, when I have the cash, I can make an AMAZING build with a few upgrades (RAM, Second Card, SSD Bootdrive, maybe overclock with additional cooling).

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 11:34:36 PM

Seeing as you purchase is in a month or so, could you wait about 2 weeks since a new Radeon series is about to launch!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296901-33-radeon-6000...
If you wanna read that link go on but there is ALOT of "opinions" in it!
a c 642 U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 11:43:29 PM

This is a link to the Tom's Hardware Guide to the Best Graphics Cards for the Money:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-gefor...

I would wait a week or two, then buy a GTX460. When you are ready to add another, they should be dirt cheap and will be top performers in SLI.
Score
Related resources
October 21, 2010 3:29:06 PM

Best answer selected by Dangeresque92.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 3:48:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!