Dell 730x psu

maxxmopar

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I have a dell xps 730x And need to upgrade the psu for a gtx460. It as the stock mbo. People say you can use any atx psu. All the psu i find have lower amps on th +5 and 3.3 rails. the dell psu has 32 and 30 amp. all the ones i find are in the 20 range. Does that really matter? Do they need to be the same or higher? And its a 1000w dell psu

Where did you get the 24 Amp requirement from?

The GeForce GTX 460 will draw less than 15 Amps from the +12 Volt rails. The Dell 1KW PSU is more than sufficient to power that configuration. You need to connect two 6-pin PCI Express Supplementary Power Connectors from the power supply unit to the graphics card.

Modern systems obtain the majority of their power from the +12 Volt rails that's why high +3.3V and +5V rail's DC output current isn't necessary. Hard disk drives and optical drives still obtain some of their power from the +3.3V and +5V rails.

Is that requirement only for the graphics card or is that for the power supply unit?

What is the make and model number of the graphics card?

What graphics card were you using previously?

EVGA states that the 24 Amps is the minimum recommended DC output current on +12 Volt rail(s) for the power supply unit. This is the minimum required to power a complete system including the graphics card, motherboard chipset, CPU, hard disk drives, etc.

nVIDIA's own specifications for the GeForce GTX 460 Series state that the Maximum Graphics Card Power is 160 Watts (i.e. 13.3 Amps max. from the +12 Volt rail(s)). If you over clock the graphics card it will consume more power.

Does the GeForce 9800 GT still work in your system?

maxxmopar

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
no seems to be busted. I get the blue and yellow lines on the screen and only 800x 600 res. windows gives me code 43 for the 9800gt. I cant get the gtx460 to boot up though. My mbo just beeps.

Beep Codes for Dell XPS 730X

Note the series of beeps during start-up (repetitive short beeps).

Code & Description

1 BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure. Possible motherboard failure.

2 No memory detected.

3 Possible motherboard failure.
• Chipset error
• Time-of-day clock test failure
• Gate A20 failure
• Super I/O chip failure
• Keyboard controller test failure

4 RAM Read/Write failure. Possible memory failure.

5 RTC power failure. Possible CMOS battery failure.

6 Video BIOS test failure. Possible video card failure.

7 CPU Cache test failure (Intel CPU only). Possible CPU failure.

maxxmopar

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
It was the card. I took it back to frys and got a new one. The new was a little differant but the same card. Looks like they revised it. But i plugged it in and it fired right up and the install disc worked, the old one didnt.