P8Z68-V new, high pitched noise coming from motherboard

lonewolf87

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Recently built a new machine, i5 2500 with ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard, and 8 gb coirsair vengeance low profile . Since day one there's been a high pitched "EEEEEE" noise that sounds like it's coming from the processor. The noise generally doesn't occur during bootup - only once Windows is running. And the noise also doesn't appear to be quite as noticeable when games are running (and not because of the volume, I'd turn that down and still notice the noise less). But this equipment is not for playing all the time (but you can jejejej) , its for sharing with my older brothers, who uses it for school, and that "eeeeeeee" destroys your focus.... ¬¬ ...

Anyone experience a similar problem? I'd reeeally hate to have to go get my motherboard replaced and install it all over again. Is there perhaps a setting in my bios I can change to reduce the sound?

I´ve read the post

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298548-30-p8z68-high-pitched-noise-coming-motherboard#bas

But i dont get it... what could i do?

(Sorry for my bad english xD)

Please, help this noob xD - Thanks

While not a bad problem it is certainly annoying....

It stems from the chokes that control voltage to the processor. When there is a full load, the chokes are allowing pretty much every bit of power the PSU is providing to the CPU through which is why you can't hear it during gaming and bootup. But once the OS is loaded and the processor is idling the chokes kick in, and cut the power output down. Sometimes the chokes make noise.

So, I would suggest RMA'ing it, since a new board shouldn't do that. But there is nothing wrong with the board, other than it being highly annoying.

lonewolf87

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
damn! i have RMAing it then??? i hope this solves the problem, but you think theres no other solution??? I know that i adquired this mother a week ago, but RMAing it should be the best

lonewolf87

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
perhaps the problem its in the north bridge of the mobo, i used a liveCD in a usb stick ubuntu 11.10 without using the hdd or other sata device, and i didnt hear that noise... then i put the disk again... and "eeeeee" background sound appears... ¬¬ it so frustrating... all works fine except that noise

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I had a similar problem but

1) I couldn't determine where it was coming from
2) it was present all the time as soon as the PSU was turned on

It worked "fine" but I sent it back for a replacement.

That's because Live Distro's dont have the power saving settings built in that windows does. So like you were playing a game the CPU is working at full speed the whole time. So the chokes are not being used.

There is no NB on your board, since Sandy Bridge processors incorporate the memory controller into the Processor.

lonewolf87

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

So, this could be mobo problem or processor problem ???

As I said in my first description to your problem...

"It stems from the chokes that control voltage to the processor. When there is a full load, the chokes are allowing pretty much every bit of power the PSU is providing to the CPU through which is why you can't hear it during gaming and bootup. But once the OS is loaded and the processor is idling the chokes kick in, and cut the power output down. Sometimes the chokes make noise."

It is the MB Voltage Regulator.

lonewolf87

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Dude, disabling the C3 and C6 reports in the BIOS stopped all the chirping sounds coming from around the CPU. Is it okay to have these two options disabled? or is there another way to fix this problem or really is a mobo defect and i´ll should replace it?? what could be the disadvantage of have C3 and C6 disabled, i dont have a video card yet, but if ill get it soon (next month i think), is there any consecuence?

I dont get it all.. . but the sound dissapeared .... :??:
any ideas???? Please help

Thanks

labedra

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Had the same issue with my Asus P8Z68-V running windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I disabled C3 and C6 reporting to the OS under Advanced / CPU Configuration last settings on that page. After the reboot NO EEEEEEEEEE noise anymore. Asus should fix this crap. This is a nice MOBO when it works. Definately the first thing you should do is update the BIOS. I had an old BIOS version and my USB keyboar and mouse wouldnt work while i tried to install Windows until I upgraded the BIOS. What the hell is up with ASUS.......... ??????? Otherwise everything works, CPU i5-2500k overcloced to 5 ghz no prob. DISABLE C3 and C6 and the noise will be gone.