Buying a New Computer, Picking the right video card

Cyntric

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
First off. I am looking at putting together a package from cyberpowerpc.com. And feedback on this website would be appreciated as I have no "real" testimonies.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Around a Month from now. Budget? More or less on importance. The cards looking at are the Radeon 5570, 5670, 5750, 5770. And the Geforce 220,240,250,450.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly. Starcraft 2 is the best example as it is the most played. I don't need it on high setting. I do have a price range. Just want it to run smooth, with the card having longevity.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon x800 PRO 400 watt Psupply, But i'm getting a new system so I can work with the PS part as needed.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I'm looking at the Intel® Core™ i5-760 2.80 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1156. Motherboard = [CrossFireX] Asus P7P55 LX Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI (I realize i'm not wanting crossfire, BUT, The option is nice to have for later.) 4gig of Ram

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Again, looking at an entire pc from Cyber Power PC.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't care on nvidia or ATI, but my x800 has lasted a LONG time. Just want another card to do me the same. PhysX or XTX no idea what those even are, or if they are important for what i do.

OVERCLOCKING: No/No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Here are the full names of the cards and the price difference.
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI) +$13
ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI) +$39
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI) +$71
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI) +$89
**They have these tags on the nvidia cards only (such as physX)**
(PhysX)NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) Base Price
(3D Ready, PhysX) NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) +$17
(3D Ready, PhysX) NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) +$50
(3D Ready, PhysX) NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) +$70

Also, Directx11. Should i get this if i want a long life? or not?

All of the cards "are" affordable, but I would have to cut cost elsewhere if need be. Therefore, Best for price is what i'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

I would put the PC together yourself, and NOT order it from a company. Also, since gaming is a priority, I'd get off of a dead-end 1166 platform (whichever is core i5's), and go to an AM3 system (with a 4 or 6-core phenom). This will give you better options for graphics; possibly up to an HD5850.

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

I second that even though my first post says otherwise!
Original Poster: Yeah, you can save tons of money by building it yourself and it's fun too!

Cyntric

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I appreciate all the feedback already. And being a pc student about to take my A+ exams building it would be fun and easy. BUT here's my issue. And i'm talking with a friend as we speak about it. I browse newegg daily.. but IF i were to go to newegg, and pick out all these pieces myself, it would cost me 100-200 dollars more than what this is listed for on cyperpowerpc. current i'm at 650 dollars. That pretty much is my limit. All this on newegg, 750ish. I guess i should have clarified my system in total cost will have to be around 650.

G

Well out of all your options, Id go with any below

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

There both quite good cards. So your pick.

1st just so you know the board you selected the second PCIe slot is only 4X so its not great for crossfire. If the PC is mainly for Gaming I would recommend getting an Athlon x 3 440 or similar and spending twice as much on the graphics card (Maybe 2 x 5770 on a 870 chipset) this should give you much better gaming performance (especially if you overclock the CPU). Just from the ones you list the 5770 I would say is by far the best bet and the only good gaming card on the list.

Me?! No! Where would you get this crazy idea from!?

capn-jack-sparrow.jpg

That good fellow, however, might be.

G

Probally is, though it isnt on his list. Anyways OP what games are you gunna play?

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
As was suggested before, an AMD system can get you close to the same computing power for less leaving a bit more in your budget for a better graphics card. A 5770 is a great card for your resoultion, won't play all the games at max but will let you have some good eye candy. However, if you can switch a few items to lower the price enough to buy a 5850 then you will have an even better build with almost all the eye candy at your resolution. I suggest trying to get a 5850, you won't be disappointed.

Cyntric

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Wow Thanks everyone. Let me try to answer all the questions.

- I am not getting an operating system, so no 100 bucks for me = )

- Yes, cyberpower will overclock but i'm not that hardcore. Just need a new system to replace my 8 year old one with a pentium 4 and 1.5 g of ram along with my x800 hahaha.

- I've actually been working really hard on a pc on newegg with amd x3 set. And it's working quite nice. I can't decide which i'll do for now but either or i will either use the 260 or 5770 because i don't see myself stretching to a 5850 even though i would love to.

- I'll be playing Starcraft 2 and alittle Heroes of Newerth. Eagerly awaiting Diablo 3.

- If i missed anything i'm sorry. I have a good friend who also said the video card is worth skimping on the cpu/motherboard at my price range so I'm reworking my system as we speak, Thanks again for all the help

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
+1 to 5770.
When you selected the components from newegg did you check if they are exactly the same? Usually companies that make systems place a bigger price then the total of those components.