Sign in with
Your question
Closed

465 GTX Problem... Very Frustrating.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2010 1:23:53 AM

Hi guys, So I upgraded my video card (8800 gt) to the new 465 GTX voltage tweak.

I don't know if this is a GPU problem but my computer keeps freezing and restarting when I am playing games.

People told me it was a PSU problem... so I changed it to a 750W Cooler Master. In the first week everything seems fine... but now the PC is doing the same crap again... freezing with jumbled repeating sound and restarting...

I am very confused... Could this be a GPU defect?

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 1:26:24 AM

Supposedly, it could be a GPU defect but try booting in safe mode and installing different drivers.
Score
October 14, 2010 1:50:03 AM

I realize when I touched the back of my pc the area where the Video card is suppose to be is rather hot... Could it be a heat issue?

The guy that installed it did turn my fans to medium when they inserted my new card... they say at high its loud.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 5:58:10 AM

Return it for a GTX 460 :) 
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 6:33:46 AM

Does it only happen in games ? If so,then download and install GPU-Z.
Run a game and open GPU-Z to monitor your temps(post your temps here), it could be an overheating issue.
Score
October 14, 2010 10:32:54 PM

Ok when I start it up the temperature at normal (nothing running was around 37-42 degrees)..

I started playing a game (Medieval total war 2 kinna old game) It came up to 50-55 degrees!!! It reached 56 57 as well.

Is it overheating?

Score
October 14, 2010 10:35:29 PM

Ok It reached 60 degrees... it it overheating? I kinna feel hot air coming from behind my computer where the video card slot is.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 10:37:56 PM

No 60c is not hot. It is relatively cool for a g100 Fermi actually. I would think it would get up to the 70 even 80 when gaming for hours.
Some with gtx 470's get near 90 when gaming.
You must be in a cool environment.
Score
October 14, 2010 10:51:25 PM

My case has 4 fans, that's probably why... so if it isn't overheating, what could this be :pfff: 
Score
a c 595 U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 11:04:44 PM

grub25 said:
The guy that installed it did turn my fans to medium when they inserted my new card... they say at high its loud.

I'm not sure why anyone would just automatically turn the fans to a medium setting, without trying it first. On the Auto fan setting, you would have been fine. If you want to change it to Auto setting, either use your Asus software, or download Afterburner (which is what I recommend). With Afterburner, you just hit the 'Reset' button.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...

Your temperatures are actually really good, which also makes me suspicious that they are too good. The best thing to do is to try to reset the fans and speeds to stock, then install the latest drivers from the Nvidia.com website.
Score
October 14, 2010 11:15:49 PM

I have installed the latest drivers, as for my fans I think they are running fine, I've used an Antec 900 gaming case, and my legs always feels cold when I'm near it.

This is my current temperatures with just firefox running

GPU Temp: 36 degrees
PCB Temp: 28 Degrees
Score
October 14, 2010 11:23:51 PM

On another note it seems that these crashes occur whenever I've just booted my computer on, Like 5-10 minutes after boot up I would play a game and crash..

Other times My computer has been on for a while I play a game and everything is fine. Its just really really weird!
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 11:26:58 PM

Your going to have to provide more details.
Whats the rest of your rig components
How long have you run the rig with the 8800 ?
Did you change or upgrade anything else when you installed the card ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 11:27:06 PM

28 degrees?? My house is barely colder than that, where do you live and how do you stand it :) 

If your temps are accurate it definately isn't overheating, mine runs at 39 idle (when it volts down), 68 or so in games, and 79 max running kombuster for an hour, and that's on the low side for the GF100s. It's wierd that the PSU change would fix it, but only for a week. You're not using a really skinny extention cord or something are you?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 11:28:35 PM

Use the "quick edit" function please, bumping your thread thread with "On another note" may result in it being closed.
Score
October 14, 2010 11:30:57 PM

notty22 said:
Your going to have to provide more details.
Whats the rest of your rig components
How long have you run the rig with the 8800 ?
Did you change or upgrade anything else when you installed the card ?

Microsoft Windows XP (Home edition SP3)
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
3.25 GB of ram.

Mother board is p5k
PSU: Cooler Master 750W GX

I changed the PSU as well to the 750W GX from an old cooler master 600W.

I changed the psu after having upgraded my video card. It was causing problems, but this time my screen would get white squares and random lines (artifacts? or something like that), as well as the black screen and restarts.

So I went to the shop, the guy noticed my 600W psu fan wasn't working so I bought the 750W.

I've had this PC for more then 2 years, It never had a problem. It Ran fine with my old 8800 GT, never had any restarts like this.

:bounce:  Benski you mean the powercord that connects to an outlet and the back of my PC?

In that case, no I am still using my old one. Something just hit me... could it be as simple as a cable problem :ouch: 
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 11:39:25 PM

Did you use the power cord that came with your new PSU or reuse your old one?
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 11:46:13 PM

You don't have any odd wireless cards or tv tuners ?
Have your run scandisk lately to see if you have any bad sectors ?
You might want to make and run a memtest boot disk, to see if there is a underlying problem with stability ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 12:16:27 AM

Yes that's the cord I mean. And mousemonkey didn't mean reply to other people by editing your previous post, just don't post twice in a row in your own thread.
Score
October 15, 2010 12:20:18 AM

benski said:
Yes that's the cord I mean. And mousemonkey didn't mean reply to other people by editing your previous post, just don't post twice in a row in your own thread.

Ok So I found the new PSU box... found the cord and replaced the old one.

I did some tests by restarting my computer and launching my browsers and games,

Did this a couple of times without a single black screen restart...

I guess this fixed the problem!!!

Thanks a lot man!!!!

Its just relieving and disheartening at the same time.. finding out that the problem was caused by a cable... :pfff: 
Score
October 15, 2010 12:20:48 AM

Best answer selected by grub25.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 12:22:19 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!