Sign in with
Your question

955 BE running hot

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2011 9:51:03 AM

Hi,

I've just bought myself a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooler for my AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE.

I have the Cooler Master Elite 430 case with 3 fans (1 front, 1 side, 1 back).

I was idling at around 35 to 40 with the phenom's stock cooler. Now after I install the Hyper 212 plus, the temps still idle at around 35 to 42 degrees celcius.

I used the thermal paste that came along with the cooler. Please suggest me if I am doing something wrong.

More about : 955 running hot

a b à CPUs
March 6, 2011 11:15:45 AM

What are your load temps? (you generally don't see a huge difference in idle temps stock to 212)..

Also, are you running high or low speed on your fan?

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=241...

My Phenom II idles about 40C and hits 70C running Prime95 with the stock cooler. It's fine but I really can't overclock beyond 3.2Ghz.

SOOO, if your load temp is lower than this then you have things right with the install of your 212....(and the 212 is far quieter than the stock cooler for sure..)
March 6, 2011 12:23:12 PM

the first time I tried applying the thermal paste with the line method (two lines). I removed the cooler and tried it again but this time I applied the thermal compound directly on the heat sink of the cooler master hyper 212 plus instead of the cpu (wiped thin line with a credit card).

But it seemed to not make any difference. I tried running prime 95 for 30 minutes and the temps goes to 50 degrees.

Is there any problem or is this normal. I checked the heat sink (its tight)

The fan speed is set to 49% when the temps rises to 41 degrees. Should I change it.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2011 7:40:05 PM

A temp of 50C after 30mins of Prime95 is a great! Your just need to stay under 70C, so, you have plenty of head room for some more overclocking speed if you wish...

Recall, my chip hits 70C with the Stock cooler which is marginal...
!