Tags:
  • New Build
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
  • Socket
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2010 6:32:25 AM

Right currently I have a Q6600 and EVGA 6880i with an ATI 4890. but the computer is playing up and has been for a while its either the CPU or motherbaord.

I want to upgrade but am undecided on the CPU im pretty sure i want an i7 but which one....?

the

i7 860 or 870, at 2.8Ghz, and 2.93 Ghz both around £200-220 using socket 1156

i7 930 at 2.8 Ghz at £206 using socket 1366

mainly i want to know if the performance difference between the differnt types of CPU is noticeable for things such as gaming with new games ect

at most importantly which socket has the best life expectancy for upgraded CPU's in future, as i did hear the 1366 may not have new CPUs coming out for it?

More about : upgrading cpu motherboard

a b à CPUs
December 9, 2010 7:03:34 AM

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

Grab an aftermarket cooler, clock and a possible GPU upgrade?
December 9, 2010 2:39:17 PM

I have an after market cooler, as i said the PC is having issues and i need to replace the CPU and motherbaord, I will upgrade the GPU after a bit but for now i want a stable PC and want a better CPU
Related resources
December 9, 2010 3:17:41 PM

A friend of mine has one of those a 3.6 Ghz, it works just fine for him, perfomance is excelent... try overclocking it... If you're going to upgrade anyway overclocking is riskless... I mean if you burn your CPU luckily you were always going to change it... lol
December 9, 2010 3:44:33 PM

Lol for the last time the combination is unstable it crashes far too much

atm it is overclocked too with an after market cooler.

i need a new CPU and motherbaord
!