I'm so close to finalizing my build, but please help me choose between these two builds.
My default was Option 1, an i7 870. But the i7 950 went down LOWER than the 870, and even though I'll have to get a more expensive mobo and upgrade from 4GB to 6GB, maybe it might be worth it with the lower 950 offsetting the increase. I just came up with an Option 2, i7 950, which is $75 more total. I will never Crossfire/SLI, and never overclock, so which is the best at stock?
Uses: Some gaming, moderate photoshop work, multitasking (many programs up, many windows open). I know a lesser computer will work, but I want a faster computer that will last me a long time without upgrades.
One big question is...how much better did I make the computer by adding that $75? The key differences are 870 vs 950 and 4Gb vs 6Gb. (Note: perhaps I should improve the 4Gb RAM from Cas9 to Cas7 for a more fair comparison, but $44.99 was pretty good).
Power supply: XFX 650W, 80+bronze ($20, combo deal video card at Newegg, already bought)
HD: 1TB Western Digital Black ($59.99, already bought at Best Buy)
DVD-ROM ($19.99, Newegg)
Case: Antec 300 Steel ATX Mid tower (59.99, Newegg)
Total = $699.93
i7 950 ($199.99, Microcenter...Cheaper than 870! but is it better?)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 ($189.99, Newegg, link)
Memory: Patriot 6GB (3x2GB), DDR3, 1600Mhz, Cas 8 ($79.99, Fry's, link)
Video card: same as above
Power: same as above
HD:same as above
DVD-ROM: same as above
Case: same as above
Hmm academic since u got some parts in there but was approached couple hours ago with similar tasks machine i.e gaming + Adobe CS5/Workstation @ the $6xx-700 range so suggested via email an X6 + 1GB/256bit GTX 460 and 8GB DDR3 config hehe
$680AR all off Egg USA
Edit: also suggested to use gift coupon to be channeled towards hitting an aftermarket HSF if planning to clock away
+1 on waiting for SB. Wouldn't recommend buying Intel right now. LGA1156 is "dead" and offers no CPU upgrade path later. LGA1366 will be shortly behind. Better to wait until mid January and check things out again.
wow, really helpful input, guys! I assume you guys mean to not USE the Sandy Bridge, since I assume that will be much more expensive. when is that expected to come out...or actually, the more important question is when do you think the current 950 and 870 will drop? I get a feeling that the Microcenter prices (i950 - $199, i870 -$229) was A LOT cheaper than Fry's (i950=$299, i870=294) or newegg (i950=$294, i870=$294)...$70-100 cheaper already. so maybe next year, fry's and newegg will just lower to microcenter's price.
i'd like to stick with intel than amd.
so even if i wait till next year...i'm still left with my original question. which of my builds is better? and also, if the 950 is slightly better is it $70 better?