Asus Motherboard and Memory question

BrewWarrior

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I am new to the forums.

Thank you all in advance for your time and advice!

Are there any "major" differences between these sets of Memory?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006127%20600006073&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=147%7C20-231-315%5E20-231-315-TS%2C20-233-143%5E20-233-143-TS%2C20-145-347%5E20-145-347-TS

They are going to reside in either:

A= ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) (P67)
or
B= ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68)

BrewWarrior

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
:)

That seemed to be the same conclusion I came to.

However, is there a style that would be better suited for a RAM Cooling setup? Never used RAM specific cooling not sure if it's even necessary.

DDR3 @ 1.5V runs cool. You won't need to do any extra cooling at all. Just be sure to keep in mind some of the taller heatsinks can interfere with large after market air coolers (Cooler Master V6GT for example)

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
The two sets of Corsair memory are exactly the same model, just different colours, other than that they are identical.

As for the G skills, they have exactly the same specs as the Corsair.

So there is practically no difference betweem them all, other than size, brand and colour.

The G skills ripjaws do have a lower profile though and will fit underneath more CPU coolers than the Corsair vengence memory will.

BrewWarrior

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Sweet!
Thank you very much for the help!

Now to decide between the (P67) or (Z68). Ive been doing quite a bit of reading here on the site. But not really sure how to sift through all the info. lol

Trudging on!

;-)

Z68 = P67 + Onboard GPU and SSD Caching.

Onboard GPU = unnecessary if you are using a mid to upper range GPU

SSD Caching = not all that great, since it only caches commonly used programs, so you have to use it multiple times before it will cache it. Also, if you are getting an SSD, get one around 120GB and just install the OS and common programs to it, and use a spinny disk for data storage.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

+1

P67 is more than good enough

BrewWarrior

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Ahhh, okay that makes sense to me.

If I may...for understanding and clairfication...

I dont need Onboard GPU if I am going to use a High end GPU: ie. Duel GTX 580's?

Yes, I had planned on using an OCZ 120 for OS and then 1T+ for everything else.
...which brings me to a seperat question which im not sure belongs here...

RAID? ummmm never used it...ever. Im assuming there are ample resources here to learn about this without being spoon fed?

Thank you!

Correct, there would be no benefit for using an onboard GPU as the dual 580's will be far, far more powerful. So, it would be better to use the entire CPU for processing, instead of sharing the processor with processing and graphics.

RAID... only really works if you have 2 identical drives.

RAID 0 = Striping. Takes the data and splits the information across 2 drives, effectively doubling the read and write speed. For demonstration purposed let's assume the program you are using has 6 blocks of memory (in reality there will be millions) blocks 1, 3, 5 will be on HD 1 while blocks 2, 4, 6 will be on HD 2. so it alternates back and forth between drives.

Pros - extremely fast
Cons - If 1 drive goes down you lose everything.

Thoughts. Use it for OS and programs, it will be extremely fast. Never use it for data.

RAID 1 - Mirror. The same data is written simultaneously to both drives.

Pros - Data is very secure
Cons - no performance boost

thoughts - use for documents / music / files you want to keep.

RAID 5 - Combination of both. but you need more drives. It stripes the information across multiple drives, but instead of 2 drives, it uses more so that if 1 goes out you can "rebuild" the array, and not lose any data.

Pros - faster than a single drive
Cons - more drives

Thoughts Nice if you are using 3-5 drives, but generally a combination of RAID 0 and 1 will work better for home / gaming.

daviddawn

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
not true ! intel's onboard gpu is much faster at converting video files using quicksync opposed to any other high end pci gpu, which is where lucidlogix software virtu comes in to play allowing you to switch between your plug in gpu and the igpu.