Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First HTPC build US $1500 budget

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2010 12:17:19 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within these few days

Budget Range: US $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC, HD/Blueray movies, music, surfing the internet and maybe more. Must be a quiet yet powerful enough to suit my needs.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, receiver.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Buying from a local computer shop.

Country of Origin: Taiwan

Parts Preferences: Nothing in particular, whatever is suitable for best quality output within my budget.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 / 1080p etc

Additional Comments:

1. This is my first build and the setup list below was recommended from my local HTPC store.
2. To run on 52" Sony Bravia TV, last year's model.
3. Will be making an order for Klipsch surround sound system 5.1 soon too.
4. OS will be Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate 64-bit.

Potential setup:
CPU: Intel i5-650 3.2G
Motherboard: ASUS P7H55-M USB3
Graphics card: ASUS ATI 5670 DDR5-1G HDMI
Sound card: ASUS Xonar HDHDAV1.3/Deluxe TrueBul-ray
Memory: A-data DDR3 -1333 4G x 2
Hard disk: OCZ SSD Vertex2 60G + WD SATAII 2TB
Optical Drive: Asus BD-ROM
Case: SilverStone LC16B-MR OR LM200+Luxa Power (US $100 difference)
PSU: HEC APFC480W Server Class

Is the setup above reliable? or would anyone be kind enough to recommend a better system. Thanks in advance!

More about : htpc build 1500 budget

December 9, 2010 12:28:42 PM

Quote:
System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC, HD/Blueray movies, music, surfing the internet and maybe more. Must be a quiet yet powerful enough to suit my needs.

My take is u merely need a HTPC to play your media/movies (no encoding required) and surf the net and could be you vastly over estimated hardware requirements/costs? Toms did HD DVD/Blu Ray in '08 with far humbler h/w hehe

Smooth HD Playback With A Sempron 3200+
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,17...

Quote:
This is my first build and the setup list below was recommended from my local HTPC store.

Lucky for you we at Tom's share our knowledge not look for avenues that generate most profit hehe
m
l
December 9, 2010 1:21:34 PM

Thanks batuchka for your post.

What I meant by "HD/Blueray movies" is I want to run various HD movie codecs whether it is Blu Ray and other encoded movies from my main PC. The movies that I run on my current PC "lags" alot so I am looking for something more powerful.

Apologies for not stating this clearly.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2010 2:11:20 PM

naroka said:
Sound card: ASUS Xonar HDHDAV1.3/Deluxe TrueBul-ray
There's no need for this part. Both the i5-650 and the discreet HD5670 video card have bitstreaming capability for HD audio. The sound card is a waste of money.

m
l

Best solution

December 10, 2010 3:13:18 PM

tio be honest, this system can be managed for a LOT less than $1500. even sticking with the intel procecor you don't need the sound card *or* the GPU. The i3-540 and H-class mobo will output 1080p HDTV and sound fine.

here's a whole setup for $589!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Just add a hard drive (or two) -- an SSD for boot and a mechanical drive for storage
December 13, 2010 1:39:42 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
tio be honest, this system can be managed for a LOT less than $1500. even sticking with the intel procecor you don't need the sound card *or* the GPU. The i3-540 and H-class mobo will output 1080p HDTV and sound fine.

here's a whole setup for $589!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Just add a hard drive (or two) -- an SSD for boot and a mechanical drive for storage

Thank you all for the tips, I have confirmed the order and it should be ready tomorrow. I have taken out the GPU and Sound card. I am keeping the i5 CPU as I might get involved in some potential gaming on this system in future. Will add a video video card or so then!
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:40:14 AM

Best answer selected by naroka.
m
l
!