Sign in with
Your question

How do I figure out what to replace my graphics card with

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 4:59:03 AM

I have a HP Pavillion Ultimate d4999t cto with a Geforce 8800 GT graphics card. I'm just not sure what I can use in its place or should I just go with a new Geforce 8800 GT? I play WoW and I guess since I smoke like a banshee when I play, the fan got clogged and now the graphics card is locking up the game. And suggestion or help with this issue would be great.

Thanks,

Dan
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 5:08:51 AM

You might be able to just give your entire system a really good cleaning, and if you're brave enough, take off your CPU and your graphics card's heat sinks, clean them real good, then re-install them with some new thermal paste. If the card you have now is enough for you, why replace it just because it's dirty.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 5:18:00 AM

axipher said:
You might be able to just give your entire system a really good cleaning, and if you're brave enough, take off your CPU and your graphics card's heat sinks, clean them real good, then re-install them with some new thermal paste. If the card you have now is enough for you, why replace it just because it's dirty.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will try and dig farther into the card. I did take it off and used canned air on the fan. I'm sorta concerned about the amount of time that the card may have been subject to the heat. Not sure if it could have done some unrepairable damage.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 5:33:07 AM

When graphics card start to fail, they normally stop working completely. I'd recommend giving it the full cleaning like you did, download a temperature monitoring program such as MSI Afterburner, and you can see the min/max temps of your card as well as adventure into overclocking the card for a little extra performance if it's not running too hot.
!