Replacement board for dell gx360?

devans

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hello,

I'm trying to find a replacement mobo for a dell optiplex 360 mini tower. I've scoured the internet but cant really find a replacement part. There are several versions of this mobo. The minitower version, the desktop version, and even a small form factor version. The few I have found are too expensive or they don't specify what version of the gx360 they are for. I don't want to order the wrong part. According to Dell's web site it is part # OT656F.

South Bridge: Intel ICH7
North Bridge: G31
Core 2 Duo (E7300)

Can anyone recommend me a good alternative generic board and case setup for less than $150?

I intend to reuse the:
cpu
hard drive
dvd drive
1 stick of ram
psu
and the giant heatsink that came in the dell.

I saw one on new egg but it was a micro atx board. I don't think I'll be able to reuse the heat sink if I get the micro atx board.

It's not my computer so I would like it to look good. If it were mine, I wouldn't care if I had to leave the side panel off the case and mount fans with zip ties and rubber bands.

devans

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
A few more questions.

If I'm replacing the mobo, does it even matter what chipset the old mobo used?
Will I need to load new drivers for the mobo?
Will I need to reauthenticate windows?

AcidElement

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
What form factor was the original mainboard?

Now with the chipset you will want to stay with the same one if you are keeping the CPU for the CPU may only be compatible with that one chipset.

Since the mainboard will be new and possibly a different brand/model than the one that came with the computer, you will have to load new drivers onto it, the mainboard should come with a driver cd with it, then after installation you should download the newest version of the drivers from the manufactures website.

I'm not sure on the last one, another person will have to answer that ^_^;

devans

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Well, the original mainboard was the full size I guess. It measures roughly 10.5" x 9.5". I read the dell specs for the 360 and it listed 2 sets of specs. One for the mini tower and one for the desktop version. The desktop version had fewer sata ports and required low profile pci cards. Dell also made a small form factor 360, and the mobo's for those are pretty easy to find and are inexpensive.

The Dell spec sheets are lacking in information. The cpu (E7300) that I pulled out of the machine isn't even listed in the technical guide.

How can I find out if the cpu is compatible with different chipsets?
Is it based on the FSB?

Thanks for tolerating noob questions.

Kronk42583

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
You may be required to deactivate or even re purchase windows. If it was installed from a system builders disc, then each install is tied to a single computer, when you replace the mobo, it things it is a different computer, even if it is the same model mobo as original. If it was installed from a retail disc, you may only have to re authenticate windows, maybe not.

Kronk42583

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
If its btx then you'll have a harder time finding replacements. Grab an atx tower for 20 bucks somewhere or buy a used. You might save time and hassle and money vs finding a drop in replacement. As for the cooler, there are cheap ones around, or just find an unused stock cooler for free. A few years ago, I wanted to go a smaller form factor pc, but after dabbling with it, it became a hassle and I won't go back... Expensive parts, pricier weaker PSUs.... chipset shouldn't matter. Just get a mobo with the same socket type. It should list compatible CPU families in the description. A case could cost you as little as $20 cooler another 10-20, and I bet you can find a cheap mobo around $60. All in, $100. The big cost may be dealing with that windows license...

devans

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks Kronk,

You answered alot of my questions. I was unaware that a micro atx board required a different psu.

Is it a different connector on the mobo (not the regular 24pin ) or is it a matter of fitting the psu in a smaller case?

Do you think swapping the mobo and case is considered a new computer requiring another windows license?