Closed Solved

Need Help/Advice On my first build.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Month

Budget Range: $2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming / Surfing Internet / Music / Movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, (All I've used thus far / Newb)

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: N/A

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe/Eventually

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'm just looking for the best PC I can get on a budget of $2000. Also, I've been scanning the forums for information pertaining to Sandy Bridge. Which, I'm not entirely sure if I can even wait but if I could. Would the cost of Sandy Bridge / Compatible Mobo severely dent what I could spend on other areas? Seeing as this is my first build I was thinking I'd just upgrade to a new CPU/Mobo setup down the line. (That would be feasible, wouldn't it?) What would put a staple in the plan of upgrading those areas? (As in, what other areas would need to be upgraded or changed?) So, I guess that is the only comments I have to add for now.

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB $205

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $70

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case $140
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need help advice build
  1. I definitely think u should wait for Sandy Bridge and not waste money on soon to become old gen CPU/MOBO. It wont put a dent in other components purchase at all. If ur budget was tight then that would have been the case but u have a gud budget So dont fear about losing performance in other components cause of new CPU/MOBO. Those new CPU's will give u better performance on the same budget and u wont need any immediate need for upgrade in near future.
  2. Alright, I get what you are saying. Although, I might not be able to wait for the fact of how I'm getting this computer. I'm getting it for Christmas / $1000 myself. Which, I'll have to find out for sure if I can wait. Yet, I don't really see why they would be upset about waiting. (Sandy Bridge comes out in January, right?)
  3. Yeah Jan 9th is the release date of new CPU's and AMD will release new GPU's in a weeks time hopefully !!
  4. Awesome, I'll have to look into those GPU's then. I just recently heard a little about that actually. Seeing as everything is coming out when I decide to get a new computer, I might as well wait a tid bit longer. (No harm in that.) Also, seeing as I'm going to wait for Sandy Bridge, should I wait for the other parts as well?
  5. Ya u cant select other components right now cause the CPU/MOBO/GPU pricing will define wat u can get in ur budget. Once their pricing is known then you can select the remaining components.
  6. I think I'm going to get a case/fans ahead of time. Which, I'm really attracted to the Phantom and decided to add a 140mm and 200mm(x2).
  7. hmm well just make sure its a Full tower case with gud airflow like Cooler Master HAF 932.
  8. It is most certainly a Full Tower case. Also, from the reviews I've read/watched it seems to have quite good airflow.
  9. Best answer
    Sandybridge will arrive next month and that will be the new successor for the 1156 series. But at a $2k budget, you're looking a step up at the 1366 category and it's successor won't arrive will at least mid summer.

    Here's a newegg combo ya might wanna look at which will save ya $80

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.563965

    Might compare ya choices w/ this build ..... I built this back in early November where it added up to $2,039 ....prolly a few bucks less today, w/ even more off w/ some good combos. If ya don't need all the crazy OC options the R3E provides, the Sabertooth 1366 would save ya $175

    Case - $140 - Antec DF-85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087
    Case Fans - $18 - Antec Red 120 mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209013
    PSU - $120 - Antec CP850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024
    MoBo - $365 - Asus Rampage 3 Extreme http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642
    CPU - $295 - Intel i7-950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211
    Cooler - $62 - Prolimatech Megahalems http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001
    TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080
    CPU Fan - $11 - Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10026/fan-639/Scythe_Slip_Stream_120mm_x_25mm_PWM_Mid_Speed_Fan_-_SY1225SL12LM-P.html?tl=g36c365s936
    CPU Fan - $11 - Same
    Fan Cable - $8 - Akasa PWM AK-CB002 http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10350/cab-183/Akasa_PWM_Splitter_-_Smart_Fan_Cable_AK-CB002.html
    RAM - $170 - 3 x 2GB Mushkin CAS 6 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226121
    GFX - $270 - EVGA GTX 470 SC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130549
    GFX - $270 - Same
    HD - $75 - Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 rpm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
    SSD - Later - OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227590
    DVD Writer - $80 - ASUS Blue Ray Model BC-08B1LT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135220
    OS - $139 - Win 7-64 Pro OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

    Here's one of those combos I mentioned (saves $25)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.552654
  10. Alright, I'll pose another question pertaining to Sandy Bridge. Would it be at all feasible to go with a non-sand bridge cpu/mobo and upgrade at a later point? Which, will most likely be around this time next year? That is, if I decide to not wait for the Sandy Bridge. (Which, I wouldn't wait for mere fact of your information Jack.)
  11. Its better to upgrade to Sandy Bridge since it will come out in 3-4 weeks
    Waiting is your best bet in my opinion
  12. PortalMouth said:
    Alright, I'll pose another question pertaining to Sandy Bridge. Would it be at all feasible to go with a non-sand bridge cpu/mobo and upgrade at a later point? Which, will most likely be around this time next year? That is, if I decide to not wait for the Sandy Bridge. (Which, I wouldn't wait for mere fact of your information Jack.)


    I wouldn't be wanting to have to upgrade the CPU and Mobo in system I had spent $2K on 12 months down the track!

    Also in my opinion, buying parts ahead of time is never any advantage. Ultimately you can't use the bits you've bought until you have everything so potentially you will be paying more for them to sit on your desk while you wait for everything else.
  13. Formata said:
    I wouldn't be wanting to have to upgrade the CPU and Mobo in system I had spent $2K on 12 months down the track!

    Also in my opinion, buying parts ahead of time is never any advantage. Ultimately you can't use the bits you've bought until you have everything so potentially you will be paying more for them to sit on your desk while you wait for everything else.



    Well, the advantage exist only if the person I'm buying this will wait. Which, they might not due to some past statements. However, I'm not entirely sure because I still have to ask them. Though, I should get that straightened out tonight. Also, I'd like to thank everyone for their help thus far. You've all been quite helpful. :P
  14. Best answer selected by PortalMouth.
  15. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product