Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD5870 Crossfire (Eyefinity)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2010 7:15:06 AM

Hey,

I'm currently building a new gaming machine, however I'm stuck on which graphics card to get, I've been looking around at the HD5870 card for a crossfire solution, however I can't decide, for eyefinity, should I be going for the 1gb or the 2gb ones?

Seeing as the hardware tests end up pretty much the same results at resolutions of 5760x1080 with 3 monitors except from the leap on the Bad Company 2 DX11 / 8xAA, as the review here on tomshardware said, the 2nd card brings that extra "oomph", is that extra "oomph" needed today for games like civilizations 5 and future games? Or would i manage with 1 card for now and getting a 2nd one later? And is the extra 1gb on the card worth that extra cash?

Best regards
Wafx
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 7:37:25 AM

buying two 5870's flat out is a stupid idea.

a 5970 offers the same performance at a lower cost, and dual 460's (assuming a compatible mobo) similar performance for a lower cost.

not to mention the 6 series cards are due next month. honestly, two 5870s would be the worst purchase you could make right now (aside from perhaps a few hundred thousand American dollars)

to answer the question, the extra vRAM versions aren't really needed. they offer some extra performance but probably not to justify the cost. but if you are getting two, you already have the extra vRAM needed so paying extra for those cards is a waste.

are you building a system from scratch or just getting a new GPU setup? (if so, what PSU and mobo do you have?)

in all honesty, i would hold off until the 6 series release before buying. a couple 6770's could be purchasable in a few weeks, and a 6870 shortly thereafter. you can get more performance and spend less cash. don't throw it away just 'cause you have it.
October 14, 2010 8:11:10 AM

Are the 6 series really that close? For some reason it felt like they're still months away, then again, my sense of time is out the window by far.

But that's a worldwide release i hope, don't wanna be left out here in europe having to wait longer, my current machine is rather bad.

I'm building a machine from scratch, so I'm pretty much building the computer around the GPU, due to their current size they wont fit in my chassi anyways and neither does a noctua CPU fan.

If it's any help at all here's what I've been looking for atm, then again, waiting for the 6770 / 6870 this list might change aswell:

ASUS M4A89TD PRO, Socket-AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition
Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair HX 850W PSU

Haven't decided much on other stuff than that, but it pretty much leaves out HDD and a chassi, but now when the 6870 is released, won't the prices be skyhigh at the start?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 10:05:53 AM

the 6770 is launching next month. the 6870 to follow (unconfirmed timeline, but im expecting before Christmas).

My guess is that the 6870 will launch at the same price as the 5870 (at launch). even if they are higher, it will cause price drops in the rest of the sectors. the 5870 will likely see a substantial drop to accommodate the new cards.

its hard to say for sure what will be available to you, but i imagine the 6770 will offer similar performance to a 5870, but at a significantly lower cost (probably less than a 5850, but a little more than a 5770).

so two of those will be a MUCH better option than two 5870s.
October 14, 2010 10:44:19 AM

Saw something about 19th october even, but well, I'm just hyped at getting that new machine, however I don't want to do the same mistake of 'just buying it' like last time when I needed a new machine badly to a worse budget.

If the 6770 or 6870 is really expensive I could proly manage with just 1 for starters, then again, until any final tests and stats I can't be really sure can I, damnit, I really want to unpack that last monitor.... One 6870 should manage a resolution of 5760x1080 right? Without driving the FPS down to 10 and lower?

And as you mentioned above, getting the 2gb one wouldn't really be needed, hopefully the 1gb 6870 will land somewhere around or just abit higher than the 2gb 5870 is now... or I'll have to ask my boss for a raise
a c 106 U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 8:14:51 PM

Two 5870s are faster than a single 5970 except for a few test cases due to odd drivers. Right now you don't need the extra 1GB, even for eyefinity. I think a big part of this is that since game makers are so focused on consoles most games are optimized for smaller frame buffers so it's hard for them to make use of lager frame buffers in any meaningful way. If you plan to have the cards for a long time though then you may as well spring for the 2GB card.

If you want to get the card now then get a single 5870. I say wait a few weeks though to see if the 6000 series cards bring down 5800 prices.
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 2:25:42 AM

as before, even if the 6 series are too expensive, they will at least cause price drops on the 5 series cards.

but there's no way the 6770 will cost more than a 5870 (its still their mid range gaming card, and needs to be priced accordingly). I honestly don't think the 6770 will debut at more than 250 USD, and will most likely be 200/220 if not lower (would not even be surprised if it came out for the current 5770 market price, though ATI probably stand to make too much money to consider that).
October 15, 2010 6:13:01 AM

Might aswell wait and just see, since it's just a week or two away.

Don't know if it's worth bothering with the 6770 rather than just waiting for the 6870 in that case, since as you said, there's no way a midrange card will be more expensive than the higher range older series card really.

And spending my money on 2x mid-range cards will feel pretty stupid if the 6870 launches with the same price the 5870 is at now.

As for the 1gb vs 2gb, 1gb feels like a rather obvious choice now, I'm fine with anything that lasts for 2+ years.
My current 4850 has served me well for the past aprox 2 years now but I kinda wish I had spent just a lil more and get a slightly stronger card back then, don't want to end up thinking like that again in less than 2 years. But then again, it's pretty much impossible to know if a dual 6870 setup with eyefinity will hold up well or not in 2 years.
March 13, 2012 6:58:15 PM

welshmousepk said:
buying two 5870's flat out is a stupid idea.

a 5970 offers the same performance at a lower cost, and dual 460's (assuming a compatible mobo) similar performance for a lower cost.

not to mention the 6 series cards are due next month. honestly, two 5870s would be the worst purchase you could make right now (aside from perhaps a few hundred thousand American dollars)

to answer the question, the extra vRAM versions aren't really needed. they offer some extra performance but probably not to justify the cost. but if you are getting two, you already have the extra vRAM needed so paying extra for those cards is a waste.

are you building a system from scratch or just getting a new GPU setup? (if so, what PSU and mobo do you have?)

in all honesty, i would hold off until the 6 series release before buying. a couple 6770's could be purchasable in a few weeks, and a 6870 shortly thereafter. you can get more performance and spend less cash. don't throw it away just 'cause you have it.

Looks like the joke was on you. As is now widely known, AMD shifted the numbering structure on the 6000 series cards; the 5870 actually outperformed the 6870 rather handily.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:24:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!