Core unlocking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

berkmtb

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hey guys, I was wondering how risky it is to unlock a fourth core. Also, I was wondering if unlocking a fourth core is compatible with Asrock's IES power saving utility and if it even makes sense to unlock the core if I do use IES.

Fyi, I am not an extreme performance junkie, and this is my first time build. I use my rig for gaming, MS Office tasks, surfing, and video encoding. I'll try unlocking the core if you guys say, "It's easy to do and typically doesn't cause any stability issues." I'll probably pass if you guys say, "It is doable, but you'd better know what the heck you are doing!"

Here's my build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 740 3.0G AM3
Mobo: ASROCK 880GXH/USB3 R
GPU: PALIT NE5X460SF1102 GTX460 1G
PSU: OCZ 500MXSP 500W RT
RAM: 2Gx2 | CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9A G R
CASE: CoolerMaster RC-912-KKN1 RT
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster 212+

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
Unlocking can be a simple procedure,
or you can make it as hard as you like in your determination to make the fourth core work :)
look in your bios for A.C.C. Advanced chip calibration, set it to 'all cores', save settings and reboot, with luck you will see in task manager that you have four cores not three anymore,
and Cpu-z will tell you your new chips designation, probably x4 b740 at a guess,
assuming your system does'nt crash/bluescreen thats it, your done.
if it does and you dont fancy any more involving tweaks, just put the acc back to normal or disabled and live your three core life in happiness :)
and it should work fine with the energy saving utility, that just spins cores down when not using them, for overclocking you would...
Well then, you're not going to like this response. Buying a CPU with disable cores for the purpose of "unlocking" a disabled core is a gamble. The bottom line is that some can and some cannot. With any mobo, you'll want to turn off all power saving features when attempting to turn on disabled cores.

If your system is unstable, get into your BIOS and raise your Vcore by one step until you've either regained stability or you've reached the point where you're venturing into overheating your CPU.

Unlocking can be a simple procedure,
or you can make it as hard as you like in your determination to make the fourth core work :)
look in your bios for A.C.C. Advanced chip calibration, set it to 'all cores', save settings and reboot, with luck you will see in task manager that you have four cores not three anymore,
and Cpu-z will tell you your new chips designation, probably x4 b740 at a guess,
assuming your system does'nt crash/bluescreen thats it, your done.
if it does and you dont fancy any more involving tweaks, just put the acc back to normal or disabled and live your three core life in happiness :)
and it should work fine with the energy saving utility, that just spins cores down when not using them, for overclocking you would disable and powersaving apps though
Moto

Solution

berkmtb

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Great, so it sounds like this could be as simple as just changing a bios setting to see if unlocking works. If it doesn't work, then no sweat, just reverse the setting. It also seems like I can use the power saving function. Correct?

Again, I don't feel comfortable changing voltages or anything outside the norm since stability is much more important to me than raw speed. But if unlocking is as easy as motopsychojdn says, then I'm willing to give it a noob shot.

Any other risks?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
never buy a cpu with the intent of unlocking it. if you want a 4 core then get a 4 core. if you are of with ending up with a 3 core then get the 3 core and if it unlocks then great. bonus.

just know that 4th core was disabled for a reason. if you are lucky that reason was to help fill in that processor ranks due to sales and not enough malfunctioning chips. others might have issues with one core's cache or a plain faulty core. its luck of the draw.

some unlockign programs are easier than others i personally like msi's the best but the asus ones are a bti mroe complex but still good those are the onyl companies i've tried to unlock cores with mostly sucesses to some degree but one customer ended up with a phenom II x2 (which is what he bought ) and was rather upset even though the risks had been clearly laid out at the begining of the process

berkmtb

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

That's a very good point. I specifically bought a core 3 for its bang for the buck, so I will be perfectly happy with a 3 core if the 4th does not unlock. That said, I'd love to unlock the 4th core if it doesn't carry any real risks and can be easily reversed.

Thanks for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.