Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My first build, opinions?

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2010 6:45:52 PM

My first build, posting here to get opinions and more recs. I had an i7 CPU at first but was told if I go with the i5 I could get a better GPU and that's what I did. Already have my case Cooler Master 690 II Advanced

CPU: Intel i5 760
Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E
GPU (as of now): EVGA GTX 570
PSU (not too sure on this): CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
SSD (for OS and a couple apps): 60GB OCZ Vertex 2
RAM (not decided on this either): G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ODD: OEM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo
Monitor: ASUS VH242H

So that's it, what do you guys think?

More about : build opinions

December 9, 2010 7:01:15 PM

havent really been keeping up to date with hardware but i already know that if you're gonna OC that processor, might want to bump to 1600 RAM to make that process easier..

also, you should get a 2x2GB set not a 3x2Gb set cuz you're getting an i5, not an i7 on the 1366 platform.. OR you could get 4x2gb sticks of ram
m
l
December 9, 2010 7:06:00 PM

That's perfectly fine with me, not too much of a price difference between the two anyway.

What you're pretty much saying is it's best to keep RAM in pairs?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 9, 2010 7:06:27 PM

^Agree on the RAM, you need a 2x2GB kit.
The Corsair PSU is high quality, but overkill unless you plan to add a second GPU later (only for the Pro version of your mobo). For one GPU, you only need 500W-550W. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and Enermax are all good brands with models in that range.
m
l
December 9, 2010 7:13:07 PM

I do plan on adding a second GPU for SLI, wont be any time soon. So by that time I'll probably get a new CPU/Mobo combo anyway so will need a new PSU by then too.

I was told for the GTX 570, it would probably be best with a 650W....more headroom

Just realized, I do need a heatsink and fan for the CPU for overclocking. I know to match the socket but other than that are they all pretty much the same?
m
l
December 9, 2010 7:17:08 PM

Other than the RAM and PSU is everything else fine?

Mainly CPU, Mobo, and ODD. Because I'm getting my parents to purchase the CPU or Motherboard for me for Christmas
With that Blu-ray ODD I wont need to get another one for writing will I? From what I read on newegg it seems like it will read and write CDs and DVDs as well as reading Blu-rays?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 9, 2010 7:46:33 PM

One of the best CPU coolers around is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (and it's under $30 when I got mine at Amazon, and I got free Prime shipping!). It comes with a second fan bracket, so you can set up a push-pull config.

As for the RAM, you have to buy the dual channel (pair) sets instead of the triple channel (3 stick) sets because the i5 doesn't support triple channel.

You should be able to run 2 570s on 650W if you don't OC anything (GPU power is rated at 219W). You may need a little more power to run everything if you overclock.

The CPU, mobo and disc drive all are fine (I have the ASUS OEM Bluray drive and it's great; it was also the cheapest on newegg too). Just note that if you want to watch blu-rays on Windows you need a program that supports Blu-ray playback. I have Cyberlink Power DVD 10 Ultra (just for the 3D), and it's an odd interface at first, but it works really well once you use it a few times.
December 15, 2010 11:31:00 PM

Best answer selected by omgitswes.
m
l
!