Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
EN9800GTX+ SLI (2)
Asus striker II formula
850w thermaltake PSU
intel quad Q9300
8g ddr2 ram
Windows vista 64 bit

Hello, 2day i was playing pc and the monitors went black (have dual monitors) with no noise.
from there i could not get any image to come up on the monitors trying reset etc.
tried taking secondary 9800gtx+ card out and run but did not work still black screen.
replaced the primary card with the secondary card that i just pulled out and it works.
does this mean one of my cards has just *** itself?(originaly in primary slot) Would be realy disapointing if so only had the card for a couple of years. 400 bucks for 2 years out of a card is pathetic to say the least.

pc has been running unstable prior to this encounter, random BSOD and Graphics display driver 258.96 crashing then restoring.
system has never been OC bought all from new 2 years ago.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
2 years is the average "upgrade" time for most enhusiasts and/or systems to keep up with the fast forwarding of technology Intel, AMD, ATI and Nvidia try to force. People like myself and other hardcore maniacs try to upgrade every 2/2.5 years or so.

The thing i would suggest is to try the potenically broken GPU in a completely new system, if this fails to post anything but a black screen then the GPU has died a timely death.

The 9xxx series seem to be a 2 year lifespan from what ive read, had a 9800GT which died 9days after the warranty ran out, but my 6800GS is still running about 5 years later without any problems.

G

Well, if its dead just go ahead and RMA it. Or maybe upgrade if you have the cash or want a stronger card.

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
thanks for replys.
so.. turns out card is definatly dead.
Good news tho im taking back to store today (still under warrenty) and its getting sent off for repairs.
should have it back within the next 4 weeks give or take.