Speakers on my laptop are rumbling

Suddenly a strange rumbling sound is coming from my speakers, even
when i don't have any audio program running. It sounds like the sound
you used to hear on old manual phonographs when a record finished
playing and you hadn't lifted the tonearm off yet. (Or the sound when
you had just placed the tonearm on the record but it hadn't reached
the music track yet.)

At first I thought the sound was coming from my hard drive but was
relieved to find it was the speakers!

Anyone know what this is and what to do about it? Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about speakers laptop rumbling

    How old is your PC? What brand?
    Can you hear clear sound on the earphone or is it the same strange thing?
    When you boot up do you hear it as well or only in the OS? Which OS are u
    using?
    and so on, more infos! With this little provided no one can help you
    properly.

    Steven Kraus wrote:
    > How old is your PC? What brand?
    > Can you hear clear sound on the earphone or is it the same strange
    thing?
    > When you boot up do you hear it as well or only in the OS? Which OS
    are u
    > using?
    > and so on, more infos! With this little provided no one can help you
    > properly.

    It's about 5 years old, a Compaq Presario 1825. I don't hear the sound
    on the earphone, and when I plug the earphone in, the sound from the
    speaker stops--then resumes again when I unplug the earphone. Have no
    problem hearing music on either the earphone or the speakers. It's just
    this background sound that is always there (though it varies in
    intensity) and wasn't there before.

    I use Windows 98 SE. Yes, I hear the sound when I boot up, before
    Windows starts.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Open the mixer, make sure MIC REC is MUTED.

    The sound is not to be heard on the earplug- but you can hear it on the
    speakers, right? You could try to click the volumecontrol in the task bar
    and to disable one by one to see if it makes any difference. First pitch
    them up to the highest voume- be cautious not to hurt your ears.
    It could be as well thew hard disk which is interfering with the soundchip
    ot the cables- did you change the HDD some time before this?
    If there is sound only on the speakers- you could open the laptop and see if
    there is something wrong with them, dust, broken membrane,..

    bobb wrote:
    > Open the mixer, make sure MIC REC is MUTED.

    Where do I find the mixer? I don't see anything called MIC REC in the
    volume control.

    Steven,

    Right, I couldn't hear it on the earplugs. Plugging the earplugs in
    muted the sound from the speakers, and unplugging it resumed the sound.

    I think I did try lowering the volume before but I think it didn't
    work...but don't recall exactly... Can't do it now because the sound is
    not there now...it comes and goes.

    I replaced my hard disk but that was a year and a half ago and no
    strange sound until now.

    It's quite possible the speakers or connections are dusty or
    something...I'm a slob about caring for my computer :o)

    I have the laptop open now and don't see anything unusual looking about
    the speakers...

    The mixer ist ocated in Start-> systemcontrolset-> audio and sound. There
    you as well are able to show the icon in the task pane.
    In the Options menue you can switch to record and try to see something.
    If you oly hear it on the speakers but not in the earplug, it seems to be
    aproblem in the cables, the speaker themselfs or maybe only a drivrer
    problem, did you tried the last working or/ and the latest driver?
    The sound comes and goes??
    Hm, dunno not from here.
    Last thing would be to try different positions to get it back- if you want
    to ;)

    "Arvo Jennings" <arvo@goggo.com.au> wrote in message
    >. It sounds like the sound
    > you used to hear on old manual phonographs when a record finished
    > playing and you hadn't lifted the tonearm off yet. (Or the sound when
    > you had just placed the tonearm on the record but it hadn't reached
    > the music track yet.)

    That's a great description of the sound that my old Gateway Solo developed,
    at the same time when the connection between the base and the screen (hidden
    in the hinge, I believe) got to be iffy. (The problem was fixed once under
    warranty, then came back a couple of years later.) It got so that the
    screen often got silvery or went blank, or I got only a partial display made
    of lines spaced-apart, and the temporary fix was to repeatedly adjust the
    angle of the screen until the connection came back. These movements would
    also produce the noise, and eventually the noise was just there all the time
    (until I just kept the sound mut). So if you are having any display problem
    like that, it might be related.

Laptops Speakers