Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard power supply question

Last response: in Components
March 6, 2011 11:57:47 PM

Quick question by a noob trying to upgrade his stock HP Pavillion PC. My current power supply is a 250 watt, running a 20 pin line to the mobo, which actually has a 24 pin connection, plus a 4pin 12v (Think thats what it is, sorry, I'm new to this kinda thing).
What I was wondering>>> Should I hook up the new power supply the same way as the old one, leaving the 4pin off the main mobo connection, or can I add it. Generally doing this upgrade to support a new ATI 5770 graphics card.
HP is a p6720f with a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX mobo. Any help would be appreciated!
a c 288 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2011 12:00:03 AM

You arent going to hurt the motherboard by hooking up the extra 4 pins, im actually surprised that HP didnt have a 24 pin connector on that PSU. I would hook up all 24 on the main ATX connector.
m
l
March 7, 2011 1:10:41 AM

Thanks for the imput. What baffles me is the fact that HP puts anemic PSU's in the PC's they build. I understand that they want to make $$$, but geesh. The only reason I went for this pc was what I got for the price, and that I have never done any sort of build. Tho next time this will be different. Looking at this pc as a kinda testing ground for myself. Had it for 3 weeks and Im already looking at voiding the warranty. Kept the old PC just in case!
m
l
Related resources
a c 288 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2011 1:46:07 AM

Yeah, Dell uses decent units, but low end HP PSUs are just POS's. Does yours come complete with an old school voltage selector switch on the back?
m
l
March 7, 2011 12:14:01 PM

Yeah, there's one of those on this. I learned too late that Dell usually keeps their PC's better supplied with power than HP. But, I had alot of friends that had issues with Dell, so kinda turned away from them and didnt even consider them when I was looking. Live and learn I guess.
Going to install my Antec Earthwatts 500 today...not much else to do when your cars covered in more than a foot of snow....again...
m
l
!