Sign in with
Your question

4GB high end memory - or 8GB 'low budget'

Last response: in Memory
November 10, 2011 1:07:16 PM

Hi and thanks for reading!

I am about to buy a new gpu and while browsing for deals I saw how cheap memory nowadays is. Since I have some pretty 0815 RAM in my PC I thought maybe it is time to upgrade for a more "gaming oriented flavor".

I was looking at the G-Skill Ripjaws series, 8GB of this one to be specific: G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
which I saw recommendations for a lot.

Now I wonder, I am aware that memory has a minimal effect on gaming performance but how much difference would better memory make, more specifically is there any reason to buy 4GB of high quality memory for around 100 euro instead of the cheap G-Skill for around 40? Such a big gap in price, there has to be something to it.
November 10, 2011 1:18:38 PM

Personally I have never seen much of a performance difference between different "qualities" of RAM.

I would say go with the best deal. 100 euro for 4Gb is a little over the top.

The G.Skill Ripjaws is a very popular brand and would be more than sufficient for your gaming needs.
November 10, 2011 1:38:19 PM

The 'something' to it is the gay (happy) feeling a person gets when he knows he has something with a higher number than his friend, regardless if it makes a lick of difference or not. The fact is, 4bg or ram is the medium amount for systems now, and the jump from 4gb to 8gb is so small in price that you would have to be a complete twat not to spend that extra ten-spot burning in your trousers. Of course, if that extra 1.5 fps you need on top of the terribly-bottlenecked GTX580 graphics card you have churning out 118.5 fps on your new 3D-capablie 120 hz monitor is going to haunt you like a nightmare of 'enter way over-the-top horror reference' then please, go ahead and knock yourself right out.
...so I've been watching zero-punctuation a lot today.
Related resources
November 10, 2011 1:43:19 PM

There was article about same question you asked, and as i remember having top of the line ram makes the test performance go up 10-20% bun in real world applications it didn't help much, specially in games

I go with more anytime :) 
this is test of G.Skill Ripjaws-X with Cas Latency:9

Benchmark Results
Aggregate Memory Performance : 10.5GB/s
Integer B/F iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 10.54GB/s
Float B/F iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 10.47GB/s

top of the line ddr3 with Cas Latency:7 i get 12GB/s btw testing with sandra on AMD based system
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2011 1:59:18 PM

I agree. I have yet to see a test that shows lower timings help gaming in any meaningful way. Synthetic benchies will say that CL7 is way better then CL9, or DDR3 1333 is slower then DDR3-1866, but games will say otherwise. I'd get the 8GBs. Don't worry too much about timings or speed. Within reason of course.
November 10, 2011 5:45:28 PM

Thanks for the answers, seems to be a no-brainer then.

How do I choose a best answer on these forums by the way?
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
November 11, 2011 12:01:35 AM

Should be a button "select as best answer" at the bottom of each answer. If there isn't then you set the question up as a discussion thread not question.
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
November 11, 2011 2:39:49 AM

Agreed with that. Last I saw most 4GB kits were around $35, while 8GB kits are around $50.

!