My triple core is now dual core?

absorber

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi all,
First I should say I don't know a lot about computers and following the advice of a friend who couldnt solve my problem I was told to post here.

I own a computer which uses an AMD Phenom II triple processor. I've owned this for over a year now and use it primarily for gaming purposes.

Recently I noticed a drop in my computer's performance and I found that my dxdiag (among other programs such as CPU-Z) tells me I now have two and not three cores. I cannot find any simple explanation for this problem. I naturally aren't inclined to muck around with things such as overclocking in the BIOS etc as I don't understand any of that stuff well and so this adds to my confusion. Every indication suggests I only have two cores working, the whole time.

Help?

I had a socket a cpu fry once, and it literally dropped the multiplier to a lower setting. Must have melted inside. So, I guess it's possible. Windows 7 should list any changes under "system properties". If you want more advice, list your motherboard model number. It may have a setting that can be changed, or you can try popping out the board battery for a few seconds with the system off to reset the bios. You need to learn about your bios anyway. It's not that hard.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Not to alarm you but... I've come across one other user here who had a remarked Phenom II CPU. In that example, someone sold him a dual or triple core unlocked to a quad core.

It would useful to know what is exactly being reported by BIOS/CPUID. Is this a Dell or something, home built with Box or OEM CPU, eBay? Knowing what's on the imprint on the CPU heatspreader would be useful (although I wouldn't take off the CPU fan just for that reason).

This is a weird one. I rarely see CPUs biting it... let alone just a core dying w/o complete failure. Hopefully there's a better explaination.

drvonspawn

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
i dont know the details that well but i always thought that it was only the quads that got knocked down to triples. not triples being able to go dual. if an actual core fried due to some reason (overclocking and not having good heat dissipation on that 1 die) wouldnt that really screw your system up?

Nothing will screw your system up unless you use a cheap power supply or set the voltage too high for the ram or cpu. Did you ever confirm what cpu you had? The model number must be listed somewhere. Tripple core phenom II is pretty generic.

absorber

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

in answer to all of the above...

The computer is homebuilt (by a friend). Bought all parts separately and put em together etc.

I got a 500W psu which I've been told is a decent brand (thermaltake litepower?).

How do I get a core unlocker?

My processor gets 6.6 for the windows experience index in properties- I don't know if this has lowered although I suppose it would make sense.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Open CPUZ as you said you have it installed already.

What does it say about the processor ?
For example mine will say
Name AMD Phenom II X4 965
Code Name Deneb

Never seen a tricore going down to dual core.
my guess is it originally was a Phenom X2 with unlocked cores.
and after god knows what issue, your bios settings went back to default.
And your chip went back to a Phenom X2