Sign in with
Your question

First time boot trouble; screen never wakes

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2010 3:39:06 AM

Here's the story:

I just bought a bunch of new parts to assemble this computer, and am having trouble getting it to boot for the first time.

Symptoms:

- Screen never wakes. (This screen has been tested against another machine, it works)
- Power turns on and stays on indefinitely: all fans spin (case, CPU, power supply, video cards), all lights turn on.
- No POST/BIOS beeps: I've tried unplugging the keyboard on a boot to force a beep (motherboard manual said beep once if no keyboard), but no beep.
- Keyboard lights wouldn't turn on either, but after clearing CMOS, it now displays lights.
- The very first time I tried booting, I think I heard a pop, but that might be my imagination.

Some facts about the setup:

- Two ATI video cards, each has 2 DVI slots to connect into (and 1 HDMI each as well). (I've tried plugging the single monitor into every combination of the 4) DVI slots. These were meant to be setup to do Crossfire; started it with and without the Crossfire cable, no difference.
- 1000W power supply; should be ample power, each video card has its extra 12 pin power connectors hooked up to the power supply.
- Monitor only supports VGA, so a DVI to VGA adapter sits between the card and the monitor (this also has been tested to work).

Specs:

- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
- ASUS Crosshair IV Formula ATX AMD Motherboard
- Nexus RX-1K 1000W Tranquillity Power Supply
- 2X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
- 2X XFX Radeon HD 5870 HD-587X-ZNFC Video Card

Any suggestions you can offer would be most appreciated, thanks!
December 10, 2010 4:13:55 AM

Update:

- Brought it down to one video card at a time; alternated both cards, neither worked on either DVI slot.
- Took out both the new video cards, put in a single old video card I know works, but has no effect (just like the two new cards).

It seems to point to that its something more systematic or under the video cards, rather than the video cards themselves.

Now I don't know if this means much but when I tested my old video card, the fan on the card spun super fast for a sustained period of time. Now in my old system, it would only spin that fast for about 3-5 seconds into the boot, then would come back down to steady state. The new system however, spins fast indefinitely... I'm not sure what that might be symptomatic of if anything, but it's an interesting difference.
m
l
December 10, 2010 5:18:25 AM

Just noticed, on the motherboard I have (Crosshair Formula IV), there's a red LED on: it is labeled "DRAM" and is sitting next to 3 other LEDs that are not on (CPU, VGA, BOOT DEVICE).

Here's a question; does the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T support DDR3-1600 sticks? Doing the research, it seems the results I get are conflicting; some say it doesn't while others suggest it do.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2010 6:15:09 PM

Working my up...

No, the 1090T does not support 1600, but don't take my word for it, check the source:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/pheno...

Regarding your original concern, double check that you've done everything applicable in the troubleshooting guide (link in my signature) that was designed to assist those with "no boot" and/or "no display" concerns.
m
l
December 11, 2010 6:49:30 AM

I suppose I should give an update:

So the solid DRAM LED on my MB was result of it not being seated properly; never have I wasted that many hours over a stupid oversight. The DDR slot has one clip for one side of the stick, so when that clicked into place, I assumed it to be locked in and good to go. Boy was I wrong; I had to put pressure on the immobile end to fully seat it. Once I did that for all 4 sticks: tada. Turned on and went to BIOS.

Now not trying to be mean "T_T" (especially considering you were the only one to answer my post), but I'm afraid I shouldn't take your word for it: the Phenom II X6 1090T is running just fine with 4 sticks of 1600MHz DDR3 locked in place. :p 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2010 9:51:46 PM

Yes, the sticks are in and you're able to get to the BIOS, but that doesn't mean that you're using 1600. I'm not offended by your scepticism, because AMD says otherwise about the support at that speed. Check what is in your BIOS. 1600 is an overclock setting, so although you can set your BIOS to 1600, that doesn't mean you're going to have a stable system. For shits and giggles, bump your DRAM frequency up to 1600 and see what happens.
m
l
!