Onboard VGA interfering with PCI-E x16 slot?

mitch1989

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Okay, so my computer died a few days ago. I tested it all, decided the mobo was dead. Replaced the mobo, but my gfx card was at the shop I tested it at, so I used another to run it for the night. Next day I got my 9800 gtx+ and put it back into my machine and it's a no go and I'd assume that since the other card was working in it that my 9800 is dead just like the mobo was. However, I see signs that also make me believe that the on-board video on the motherboard is preventing the 9800 from starting. Upon powering up the fan spins a notch, as if beginning to start and then being told "No." Also, if I turn my monitor off and back on while it's plugged into the card the card will full charge up and run it's fan at full speed, so it is obviously capable of doing so, it's just not be allowed in my eyes. It is a Biostar g31d-m7 motherboard and 2.61 AMI bois... I tried looking through the settings myself to try and disable the on-board, but no matter what I do and what I turn off I can always use it, and my 9800 won't work. Anyone help me?

mitch1989

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I don't understand what you mean. I can launch my machine with and without the 9800 is so long as it's plugged into the onboard VGA. Once again it's like my mobo is not disabling the onboard like it should.

On a side note when I flash my bios with a USB drive should it be blank of everything except for the flashing file? I tried with a USb that has other stuff on it and it could not locate the file.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
AS for the usb BIOS flash try clearing the flash drive and when you boot hit F8 or something to access boot opitions. So you're telling me that whether or not the card is in it will boot? Does Windows device manager recognize the 9800GT? Are you sure you plugged it into the PCI-e slot and got all the power cables and plugged in.