jake24a

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hey guys I'm trying to decide between CPU's I'm going to use this build for a lot of windows development and some 3D modeling. I'm stuck between the i5 2500, i7 2600 and their respective K versions.

This is my first high end build i've done and i've never messed with overclocking. I want a fast reliable machine and would like to save money if it's pointless to go with the i7's over the i5's

So which of the four should i go with? and does any one know the 1155 board are coming out?

If I have this correct, one version is LOCKED and also has onboard graphics.

Not only do you want unlocked for overclocking potential but you likely do NOT want or need a CPU with onboard graphics. The internet is shifting to use graphics which look and perform much better using DX11 graphics cards (even a $50 one would be adequate). This includes font scaling etc and many demos are at the Internet Explorer 9 site.

I'm also not up on this but I believe there are some issues related to Sandy Bridge and that they were recommending waiting for a new Motherboard or a fix?

Anyway, I'd look into this Sandy Bridge issue.

On the other hand, you can save a bit of money and still have quite a powerful system by going with an 1156 motherboard and CPU. There are pros and cons of course, but you can probably save at least $150 on the combo for something similar in 1156 as the newer.

Some people pay extra for USB3 etc which is fine but you'll be able to purchase $20 PCI addin cards for this (you can get USB3 for 1156).

Anyway, it's all about the best bang for the buck.

If you're not into gaming I'd recommend getting this card for the following reasons:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59250&vpn=EAH5450%20SILENT%2FDI%2F512MD2%2FLP&manufacture=ASUS

1. a faster card won't matter for non-gaming
2. DX11 cards support the newer Internet coding which is already in browsers and some web sites (Windows 7 also uses DX11)
3. no fan (not as noisy)
4. 512MB (1GB is overkill and can't be used anyway in a card like this)
5. software WILL eventually use graphics cards to help process but currently it's mostly limited to VIDEO TRANSCODING and they recently determined that CPU-only transcoding ALWAYS produces a better quality video.

It's simply best for non-gamers to use an inexpensive DX11 card for properly displaying Windows and web sites and then to upgrade in the future when programs do a better job. It's not just the cost, most of the noise in gaming systems is due to the high-speed, smaller size of the graphics card.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Although the best answer has been chosen, for photonboy's information:

ALL socket 1155 Sandy Bridge processors have onboard graphics, however the K series have the unlocked multiplier and BETTER onboard graphics (HD 3000 over the HD 2000 on non-K chips).

The Sandy Bridge issue is with motherboards only, not the processor. The issue is the controller for the SATA II ports has faulty silicon meaning that after a certain period of time the controller may fail, killing the SATA ports. This issue does NOT affect the SATA III ports, which have their own controller, or any additional SATA II ports added by manufacturers (i.e not part of the original Intel chipset).

So, if you only use the SATA III ports and any SATA II ports added by the manufacturer, you will never have an issue.

In any case, B3 revision silicon is ready and starting to ship - we'll see new boards available very soon, if not already (in the case of some mid-range Asus boards).