rechargable AA batteries for digital cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 20, 2005 10:31:34 AM

My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
them really fast and we are tired of buying them.

Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
Concerns I have are
cost of the battery and charger
speed of the recharge cycle
durability of the battery
January 20, 2005 11:00:57 AM

Athough I'd recommend you look for at least 2000 mAh batteries,
especially if you're concerned about battery life. An average set of
alkalines give you ~700-800 mAh (as far as I remember). I don't think
I've seen 1600 mAh batteries for sale anywhere recently - it's old
technology. In the US you can get "Digital" brand at Walmart - I've
used a couple of sets of the 2200 mAh and they've always worked fine.
Get a decent charger, though - there's several good brands. I've heard
that "Powerex" at www.newegg.com is very good. Also check at
www.epinions.com - there are several reviews of chargers and battery
brands.

ECM
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:52:01 AM

I use the 4 cell charger and batteries from Radio Shack, the work fine,
well over 200 pictures.
January 20, 2005 12:25:06 PM

william kossack wrote:
> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
> them really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
> Concerns I have are
> cost of the battery and charger
> speed of the recharge cycle
> durability of the battery

Quite a few previous threads on this subject:
http://tinyurl.com/6uclk

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

The just under $17 for charger and 4 AA's at Walmart work fine, charge in
less than 3 hours then switches to trickle. They also have a 1 hr charger,
never used it.
Dave Cohen

"ECM" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote in message
> Athough I'd recommend you look for at least 2000 mAh batteries,
> especially if you're concerned about battery life. An average set of
> alkalines give you ~700-800 mAh (as far as I remember). I don't think
> I've seen 1600 mAh batteries for sale anywhere recently - it's old
> technology. In the US you can get "Digital" brand at Walmart - I've
> used a couple of sets of the 2200 mAh and they've always worked fine.
> Get a decent charger, though - there's several good brands. I've heard
> that "Powerex" at www.newegg.com is very good. Also check at
> www.epinions.com - there are several reviews of chargers and battery
> brands.
>
> ECM

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:53:24 PM

william kossack <wskossack@comcast.net> writes:

> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains them
> really fast and we are tired of buying them.

Note most digital cameras are not set up to really use alkalines, and often
times go through them in 10-15 pictures.

> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
> Concerns I have are
> cost of the battery and charger
> speed of the recharge cycle
> durability of the battery

Here is a FAQ that talks about rechargable Nimh batteries:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Here is a place that sells batteries and chargers:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

Note, you should be able to buy a decent set of 4 Nimh's for $8-15 at most big
box stores (Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.). Decent chargers are
usually around $30 or so. You will need to charge your batteries at least
monthly, since the batteries will drain their power even if not being used (ie,
for things like flashlights that sit in a drawer for long periods of time, go
with alkalines or even better lithiums, but for cameras just get into the
habit of recharging the batteries every so often).

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

iPowerUS 2500mAH HIGH CAPACITY Rechargeable Batteries

Specially designed for Digital Cameras, Tremendous lasting power for
continuous shots and flash.

Features Include:

Ultra-High Capacity 2500mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries
100-200 mAH more capacity than most other NiMH rechargeable batteries

Fast Charge Capable and built-in thermal protection
Designed to have very little or no self discharge for up to 30 days.
Built in safety features such as shock protection, and a low corrosive
electrolyte
Can be used as a exact replacement for standard AA batteries in most
digital cameras.
Can be recharged hundreds of times, and has no memory effect.
Completely environmentally Friendly.

Price $10.97 per Pk. ea. 3 lot $9.97 Ea Order# IP-4AA2500BH

1 FREE IpowerUS Battery Holder - holds 4 AA or 6 AAA Batteries - with
every 4 Pack Purchase.

iPower Rechargeable Batteries are also available in Battery Charger
Combo Kits

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/ipower2500mahnimhrec...
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:40:38 PM

"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 8udndVCN5shXXLcRVn-3A@comcast.com...
> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains them
> really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
> Concerns I have are
> cost of the battery and charger
> speed of the recharge cycle
> durability of the battery
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:47:37 PM

Since your IP is spamcast, 'er Comcast.com, I assume you're in the USA.
MAHA batteries and chargers from Thomas-Distributing.com are a good buy and
reliable.

"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 8udndVCN5shXXLcRVn-3A@comcast.com...
> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains them
> really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
> Concerns I have are
> cost of the battery and charger
> speed of the recharge cycle
> durability of the battery
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:42:40 PM

william kossack wrote:
> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
> them really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
> Concerns I have are
> cost of the battery and charger
> speed of the recharge cycle
> durability of the battery

http://nordicgroup.us/chargers
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:48:28 PM

"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 8udndVCN5shXXLcRVn-3A@comcast.com...
> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
> them really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
> Concerns I have are
> cost of the battery and charger
> speed of the recharge cycle
> durability of the battery

I realize that the operative word here is 'rechargeable, but have you tried
the AA Lithium (L91) non-rechargeable cells? They seem to last forever, but
are around $1 apiece. I've only seen them at Walmart in the Electronics
department.

John
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:01:57 PM

> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains them
> really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
> Concerns I have are
> cost of the battery and charger
> speed of the recharge cycle
> durability of the battery
See http://www.gpina.com/consumer/batterychargers/index.htm
PowerBank 1 Hour Charger - GPPB01US180-C4 (I use them, very cool)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:47:16 AM

william kossack <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:
> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
> them really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?

The last set I bought for my previous camera were 2300mAh Uniross Ni-MHs
that I bought in a local hardware store. Cheap but effective. (I now use
them in various other devices that need AAs).

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
January 21, 2005 5:13:46 AM

I've been using Energizer 2300 mAh batteries that I got in sets of four for
10 bucks at Target. I also got a Rayovac 1 hr charger from Target that
works like a champ and came with a 12 volt car cord too.

Steve

"rhodo chrosite" <rhodochrosite@hot.mail.com> wrote in message
> Since your IP is spamcast, 'er Comcast.com, I assume you're in the USA.
> MAHA batteries and chargers from Thomas-Distributing.com are a good buy
> and reliable.
>

> "william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o 8udndVCN5shXXLcRVn-3A@comcast.com...
>> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
>> them really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
>> Concerns I have are
>> cost of the battery and charger
>> speed of the recharge cycle
>> durability of the battery

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:22:19 AM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> william kossack wrote:
>
>> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
>> them really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
>> Concerns I have are
>> cost of the battery and charger
>> speed of the recharge cycle
>> durability of the battery
>

> http://nordicgroup.us/chargers

Steve continues to update this site and improve the
comparisons. My son bought the 830 Panasonic bundle from
Costco and has had no problem so far.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:44:07 PM

I'm using a fast charger (about 3 hrs) from Walmart that comes with 4 AA's.
It only costs $17 with a car cord and ac adapter and works fine.
Dave Cohen
"George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>> william kossack wrote:
>>
>>> My daughter has a digital camera that uses AA batteries but it drains
>>> them really fast and we are tired of buying them.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a brand of rechargable AA batteries?
>>> Concerns I have are
>>> cost of the battery and charger
>>> speed of the recharge cycle
>>> durability of the battery
>>

>> http://nordicgroup.us/chargers
>>

> Steve continues to update this site and improve the comparisons. My son
> bought the 830 Panasonic bundle from Costco and has had no problem so far.
January 21, 2005 6:22:16 PM

"Steve" <sckenney<rmv this>@verizon.net> wrote in news:uzZHd.18278$c%6.9205
@trnddc03:

> I also got a Rayovac 1 hr charger from Target that
> works like a champ and came with a 12 volt car cord too.

I've got one of those (and it seems to work great), but mine didn't come
with a car cord. That could be pretty handy on a road trip.

Bob
January 27, 2005 1:14:06 AM

"rhodo chrosite" <rhodochrosite@hot.mail.com> wrote in

> Since your IP is spamcast, 'er Comcast.com, I assume you're in the
> USA. MAHA batteries and chargers from Thomas-Distributing.com are a
> good buy and reliable.

yeah .. I have an older maha charger(MH-C204F) and some powerex batteries
... 2 sets of 1500s and a new Christmas present of 2 sets of 2300's ......

I use my camera every day for hobby shots and leave my camera in the cold
car once in a while ...... I ran out of juice a couple times with the 2
sets of 1500's ......... no way to run out now with 4 sets ..... I shot a
good 60-70 with flash at Christmas dinner with folks passing around the
camera to 'see' before having to change ........

I can't really compare this to any other battery/charger setups because I
haven't needed to change ......... but it's been fine

IMO ..... Thomas-Distributing.com is a safe place to shop like the other
poster said .. and a good deal.
!