MSI Hawk GTX 460 Problem

G

Hi , I have a MSI GTX 460 Hawk model im using the latest Nvidia driver and nivida inspector for overclocking , I have a ASUS P5Q-EM Motherboard and a E5200 CPU

Im having a strange problem , When i open up a GPU intensive app or run some game benchmarks , i get distorted / crackly sound for a couple of seconds ? im using onboard sound though ? via optical on my ASUS mobo , Ive tried 2 different realtek drivers and i get the same problem

Ive even tried windows own HD driver , Also i notice in device manager i have 4x Nvidia HD Audio drivers ? is this right

How can this be causing sound issues ? Also ive tried uninstalling nvidia inspector and i still get the same problem

Please Help

Thanks

This is not to uncommon to have this on the GTX460 from the few complaints that I have seen thus far. So it could be power (rare if it is) but usually it is corrupted drive which you may have already ruled out. So start checking the cables and connectors for any problems there. The last but not least check the voltages and temps.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
If you have more then one PCI-E port, try plugging the Graphics card into a different port to see if that helps. Could be interference, this sometimes happens with integrated graphics.

G

I have a 650w corsair PSU so power should be ok , temps are really good , idel 34c load 60c , Im using the max volts in NI but like i said it was still doing it even at stock volts :cry:

Ill re check all my cables but i have a feeling this isnt going to help

Thanks

G

I only have 1 port :cry:

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Just so you know, I ment to say integrated audio, not integrated graphics.

Also, the other option would be to try reinstalling the NVidia drivers. Do a clean reinstall.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Go into your bios and try increasing the PCIe Frequency a LITTLE bit. I don't know the technical details but I have read that messing with it can resolve issues with audio distortion. Google it if you want a more in depth explanation.

G

Ok guys ill check that out , you have given me a few more ideas
to try , Thanks

I really do have a love/hate relationship with my PC :p

G

Nope , still struggling :(

Ive tried everything i can think of

Tried various sound drivers
Tried reinstalling GPU drivers
Tried adjusting PCIE Freq
Tried adjusting PCIE volts in bios
Tried various sound options

this is really doing my head in now , its only when i open a GPU intensive program like Kombuster , GPU-Z or even MS Paint

I get garbled sound for about 2 seconds and then its fine again

Ive run CPU programs like prime 95 and that dosnt affect it at all

Im very confussed , Maybe i have a faulty card , Ill have to take the card out and see if i have the same problem with out the GPU card plugged in but it has only been doing this since i installed the new GPU

G

Yeah think im gonna have too , Thats 2 MSI GPUs ive had go faulty

I also had a HD 5770

Ouch that is why I always mod just about every thing I got especially when I am using my game rig for school and to pay bills on time. I modded my GTX 460 so that the power vrm stays cool like it should out of the box but no almost all gtx 460 run hotter than I would like.

trev1976

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Been on to the supplier (OCUK) about RMA and they have suggested flashing my BIO's ? I take it they mean my motherboard BIO's

Ive never done this before and am a little bit worried about messing my motherboard up :( , Do you think its worth a try
is it easy ? I have a ASUS P5Q-EM

I couldnt even boot in to windows last night , i had to boot into safe mode take the GPU driver off and reboot , once
i had done that i could get back into windows with the GPU card still plugged in ?

Shall i still persist to get a RMA ? Im not overly enthusiastic about flashing my BIO's

Thanks

trev1976

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Ok good , ill email him back now

trev1976

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Hi again , Ok i got a replacment card from my supplier and guess what , excatly the same problem , Anything under load (and i mean anything) and it crashes my system and has all the distored sound

No OC applied , Maybe this card is not compatable with my motherboard ? If i run onboard graphics i have no problems

Is there anyway i can test if my motherboard PCIE slot is faulty ?

This really is causing me nightmares

Thanks

masky007

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
the best would be if you can find another exact some board as yours and test, another thing you can try is to get Hiren's BootCD, if my memory serves me well you can find software that checks for faulty hardware on the mobo cpu etc...

tell me what happened.

and can you please specify which graphic driver (give a number :) ) and OS you are using 64 or 32?

trev1976

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Ive RMAed my card again , Hopefully i will get a refund this time, this saga has really annoyed me tbh :fou:

I have windows 7 64 and driver 260.99 but all the drivers i have tested lock up

Please see this thread for more info

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=176132&st=0

Cheers