Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Leaving a device in a PCIe slot

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2010 11:37:46 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I wasn't really sure where to put this question...

Anyway, my situation is that I'm currently using a PC with XP. I'm wanting to dual-boot Windows 7 on it (I know how to do that already) but I also want to add in a PCIe device (sound card in this case, possible even a graphics card, but we'll see) with Windows 7. I don't really want to use these in XP (drivers, other reasons... sigh don't ask lol), so would it be "bad" to leave these in the PCIe slots when using XP (but without them getting used since there's no drivers)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2010 1:21:50 PM

my concern would be that having the soundcard installed will turn off the onboard sound, leaving you with no sound in XP.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2010 8:56:35 PM

Nothing will happen to it. It will draw power, but since the drivers won't be installed, it won't do anything. It's not going to blow up or anything, if that's what you're asking.
Related resources
December 11, 2010 9:25:00 AM

Sound should still work fine and XP should use the on board as there would be no drivers for the sound card.

But it wouldn't damage the card or anything like that?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 11, 2010 9:39:03 AM

Not really. It will still cause the normal .00000000001% damage that all device suffer as current passes through them. But its not like your going to have it fail in X months because it was loaded with no drivers. The worst will be the power draw and possibly XP wanting to install drivers every time you boot into XP.

I'm planning on dual booting myself. What method are you using? From what I've read online the easiest way is to install XP/leave your XP build alone, and then install Win 7 on a different drive/partition. Do you agree?
m
l
December 11, 2010 9:51:23 AM

4745454b said:
Not really. It will still cause the normal .00000000001% damage that all device suffer as current passes through them. But its not like your going to have it fail in X months because it was loaded with no drivers. The worst will be the power draw and possibly XP wanting to install drivers every time you boot into XP.

I'm planning on dual booting myself. What method are you using? From what I've read online the easiest way is to install XP/leave your XP build alone, and then install Win 7 on a different drive/partition. Do you agree?

Well that's what I'm planning to use. Put a new F3 in with Win 7, my movies FLACs and Steam games on. It's easier to use XP as the "base" from what I know and I mucked around with the boot file a bit to get the hang of things. Much simpler than using 7 as the "base" imo.
m
l
December 11, 2010 12:45:21 PM

What will you use XP for? If only for regular office apps (no 3D), then have you considered using a VM for it instead of dual-booting? Depending on the use VMs can be a much simpler approach.
m
l
December 11, 2010 1:16:16 PM

A) I already have XP so isn't that a whole lot simpler?
B) Some older programs/games that don't run successfully in 7.
C) Not having to reinstall a billion programs makes dual booting a much simpler affair :) 
D) Since some of them are games, VM wouldn't be a great idea.
E) Thanks for the idea tho :) 
m
l
December 21, 2010 1:44:39 PM

Best answer selected by Mark Heath.
m
l
!