Solved

What's my bottleneck

- 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
- 2xRadeon 5750 1GB GPU in Xfire
- Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 500GB
- AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8 GHz
- OCZ 700W PSU

Title says it all. I want to do a little upgrade and want to know what to upgrade first. I would be willing to bet it's my CPU, but wasn't sure. I haven't OCed my CPU mainly due to being concerned about messing something up (never OCed before). I do have a 120mm aftermarket cooler on it and my CPU temps remain pretty low (would have to check on temps at home). My bottom GPU does run about 8 degress warmer than my upper one, but they are both fairly cool also.

Thoughts? Is it my CPU and if so, if I OCed the one I have, would I see substantial gains or should I just spring for a new one? What temps should I look out for when OCing?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what bottleneck
  1. Best answer
    here's teh thing to check: 1) runs a game and turn the graphics down a couple notches. If FPS improves, your GPU is a bottleneck. If not, CPU is a bottleneck.

given you have 5750s in crossfire, and a 2.8 GHz processor, Its POSSIBLE that it's both. a 5750 is a pretty low-end item, and the 5xxx didn't have great scalability.

I'd say try to overclock the 720 to 3.5-3.8 GHz (and see if it's 4th core can unlock) -- what's your motherboard? then get a single HD 6870, as that's better than the 5750 crossfire.
  2. Best answer selected by bamslang.
  3. Thanks for the reply. I'll try it out. Not sure what my mobo is right off the top of my head.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Bottleneck CPUs Systems