GA-EP45-UD3P suddenly doesn't POST

bobskizzle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,

I purchased and built a system around a GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 (stock BIOS) nearly three years ago, (OCZ 700W PSU, GSkill DDR2-800 2x2GB RAM, ATI 4870), and aside from the RAM giving out on me recently (torrents randomly failing hashes, failed MemTest), has had no problems- it's never failed to boot, ever.

Today I started it up (with replacement RAM on board - Patriot DDR2-800 2x2GB) and lo and behold, it doesn't POST. I plugged in a speaker and it gives 9 long beeps (after which it restarts). Here's some of the things I've already tried:

(1) Checked PSU with a multimeter - during startup it holds 12.3V on both 12V circuits. 5V is similar.
(2) Tried with 1 stick of RAM in the DDR2_1 slot.
(3) Tried with just the mobo and the PSU + 1 stick of RAM on the desk.
(4) Tried with the replacement RAM in various configurations.

In each case, the beep pattern is the same - 9 long beeps, then restart.

Basically I don't know what is going on here.

Thanks

bobskizzle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Did both,

Mobo powers on for ~2 seconds, restarts, and resumes the previous behavior. Same behavior if I leave the battery out (checked the battery, 3.5V is what it should be, right? The CMOS_RESET pins are 3V when the PSU is on.)

I should also note that the BIOS is untouched.

bobskizzle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
It's 2.2V Patriot DDR2 800 (yes this is different than the 1.8V the Gskill used); when the POST failed the first time, I replaced the original Gskill RAM; all four sticks fail the POST in slot 1 in identical fashion.

Could all four sticks be faulty enough to fail the POST, especially two previously functional ones (I was literally playing oblivion 24 hours ago).

bobskizzle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I don't have another graphics card to try; however I should note that this exact setup has worked without any graphics issues (outside of the 4870 overheating due to poorly automated fan speeds) for over two years. It was only when I inserted the 2.2v memory that the computer took a dump.
Also, the POST results in the same 9 long beeps regardless of RAM presence or GPU presence. If I put the RAM in one of the red slots it makes a constant tone (bad, I assume).

I guess I could assume that the BIOS went crazy due to a new voltage RAM being present, but even after resetting the CMOS and restoring the old hardware (that worked straight out of the box), it still fails.

Either that or the memory controller is bad? But why nearly three years later and not immediately, when I could still RMA the thing?

bobskizzle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Yes, I tested it in both the original configuration (that has worked for 2.5 years) and rebuilding it.

After looking at newegg's reviews for this board, I'm coming to the conclusion that DDR2_1 died on me and it's not detecting RAM at that location (memory controller). I'm going to try and RMA since it's still in GB's warranty period.

But worry not, I'll test the video card to make sure!

bobskizzle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Found the problem: 2nd pin from the top left in both slots are shorted together. On both of the RAM sticks, contact #239 is half burned off. On the mobo itself, contacts 237 and 238 are pushed back from the slot slightly and have a bit of metal across them (resistance across them is really low).

Any suggestions on how to fix this? (I'm pretty good with a soldering iron)

bobskizzle

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Yes, though I'll probably try and fix it eventually.

From looking at the socket, those two contacts arced and shorted together, possibly not recently. I think that when I removed the RAM I pulled apart the short (socket connections 237 and 238 and RAM pin 238); visual inspection shows the plastic melted somewhat, indicating it probably wasn't static. It also happened on both slots in exactly the same spot (weird, right?).

The sockets themselves are probably usable, except that one of the pins is pushed away from the socket center and probably won't touch an arced-away contact on the RAM. Now the problem is mostly that the damn thing is so small that I don't have any tools to push it back into place.

The RAM contacts are slightly worn away, as well (again, the same contact for both of them); I could probably fix them with solder, but I doubt it would hold up under the mechanical stress of insertion.

All in all, I'll be ordering some new RAM (I was planning on expanding anyway).

mikado2005

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Don't know if anyone out there still cares about this problem but ...

Today I happened to assemble a system based on the GA-EP45-UD3P, and it also wouldn't POST, instead displaying the exact same behaviors as in the original post (black screen, LEDs on mobo on, no beeps).

Nothing worked for me until I removed the cpu fan and the cpu, replaced the same cpu and the same fan, and then ... presto, voila ... boot and beep!

So it appears that this mobo is quite sensitive to cpu seating issues.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Greg

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Thanks. I too have an old system for my HTPC running this board, rev 1.1. I tried a different power supply. No change. I then realized based on other threads that I didn't have a piezo speaker connected, so I wasn't getting the error beeps. I grabbed on from another system and sure enough the bios error code. Tried resetting the BIOS, still no luck. Then I ran into your suggestion to reset the CPU. Sure enough, that did the trick. Simply removed the CPU, reinstalled the CPU and it booted right up. I had to enter the BIOS to put it back to AHCI mode since I had reset the BIOS. But this is great.

I have had this board and system since the board was first released. And I have been running it nearly 24/7 since. And this is the first time this has happened. So pretty good. But I am really happy the board and everything is fine. As this board is still $100+ on ebay. Now I can put my original PSU back in and put it all back together. Thanks for posting the solution that worked for you. Now for me to buy some extra piezo speakers to make sure all my systems have one. Some of my systems have it built onto the board.