HP tm2t with ATI 5450

hello all, I recently purchased an HP tm2t with an intel i5 processor and anATI 5450 graphics card, 12" screen at 1280x800.

I enjoy the computer alot but one thing that bugs me is the screen/display. I don't really know how to describe it so I'll do my best.

I have noticed that when there are dark colors on the screen, like in videos or the Zune program, I get blocky contrast. as in like I can see the blocks where there are dark colors.

is there a setting to fix this? thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about tm2t 5450
  1. I see, I will test over the weekend and share the results.

thanks!
  2. so I was able to test video output to a hdtv via HDMI and the same effect took place.
  3. here is a screenshot of what I'm trying to describe.

4. I see nothing in that SS.. I don't know what to say... :(
  5. Randomacts said:
    I see nothing in that SS.. I don't know what to say... :(

I don't know what you mean by "nothing".

is the screen shot blank for you? or do you mean what I am describing?
  6. I spoke with someone at HP about this and he told me to uninstall the ATI driver and re install it.

when I uninstalled the driver I noticed an immediate change in the screen's gradient contrast! i think I now know why Randomacts didn't see any thing wrong in my screen shot. Its the ATI GPU or driver!
  7. Hello,

I also have this same issue on my HP tm2t with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450. On dark colors, you can really see a "blocky" effect. You can see it on the OPs screen shot. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, but no change. When I run the integrated graphics, I don't see this effect.

I tried updating drivers from ATIs website but it says they can't be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software....version of graphics adapter is not supported.

Any suggestions?
  8. I sent my laptop in for HP to "repair" it and when I got it back all they did to it was a software reset. basically, they sent me back my laptop with a factory restore of the hard drive but that did NOT fix the issue. I emailed them the same day letting them know and they just told me to send it back again for repairs, which I find to be a big hassle since I need my laptop for school.

I did the same thing you did and got the same results. really bummed about having a "better" GPU that performs worse than the integrated graphics.....
  9. what's strange is I can't update the drivers from ATIs website. This issue is pretty annoying. I was looking forward to doing stuff like streaming HD video to my TV, but it looks terrible using the ATI card and the integrated graphics look ok but can't handle it for long without getting choppy.
  10. chetorch...if you figure out a solution, please post. I'm out of ideas. HP support was no help.
  11. droduw said:
    chetorch...if you figure out a solution, please post. I'm out of ideas. HP support was no help.

I regret to tell you that we are on the same boat on this one!

Glad you were able to post the link, if the issue has really been escalated by HP like they said, there may be a light at the end of this tunnel...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Hewlett Packard Graphics