Hopefully an easy motherboard inquiry...

Blalack77

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I bought a motherboard from my friend. Apparently his computer went into sleep mode and then his computer wouldn't ever power back on. The mobo is in my case now and I've hooked it to a HD with an OS and one without an OS and with no HD at all. When the mobo is hooked to power, the green "SB_PWR" led on the board is on but no matter what I do, I can't get the computer to actually turn on, it's like the mobo is stuck in sleep mode. Apparently it was running fine up until this and theres no sign of physical damage, actually it looks nearly brand new. The mobo is an ASUS P5Q SE PLUS. I've done the CLRTC jumpers, pulled the battery, reseated everything and tried only essential components. The CPU and RAM is what my friend was already using on the mobo. The vid card is the only new aspect and its an nVidia GEForce 8500GT but, I think he was even using a similar card, so I don't think its a problem with the components. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blalack77

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I only have 1 CPU that will fit this mobo's socket. I do have another mobo that will power on with these components, but it won't go beyond the bios splash screen. Any more suggestions on either mobo?

Blalack77

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
The one I got from my friend DID work but like I said, when my friend had it, it went into sleep mode and was never able to power up after that. It won't power up, but the LED on the board is on. and the other one I just bought from PCDirect and it (and the keyboard) kind of just freezes at the bios menu where it says: "Press F2 for setup, Press F11 for boot menu, etc..." and I can't do anything from there. So I can't get into the bios with either one.

Don't you have computer stores that offer service and repair in your area? Contact them to find out what the cost is. Since you bought a motherboard from PCDirect, you can find their prices at http://bingopc.com/repair-prices.pdf. If your CPU isn't worth much, then don't bother. You bought a motherboard from your friend that you knew up front wasn't working properly, but you don't have enough spare parts to determine if the mother board, the CPU (where is it from?) or something else is defective. Trial and error can become more costly than buying new components that are under warranty.