2120 Vs 965

diako_lorddm

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
hello
Can u tell me which CPU is better for gaming (with GTS250 Video card)
phenom X4 965 Black Edition
Core i3 2120 (sandy bridge)

D

Deleted member 217926

If you notice the AMD chip wins where having 4 cores matters. Newer games like more cores so in the long run probably the 965 is a better choice. But wow that 2100 is strong for a dual core.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Sandy Bridge wins the Crysis benchmark. And the Dragon Age benchmark. Dragon age can use a quad but the AMD chip loses.

If you're not going to overclock then it depends on the games you plan to play. The 2120 seems to hold up pretty well. Even though it's only a dual core CPU it is hyper-threaded giving it 4 virtual cores to be a little more efficient. If you want to overclock though then go with the 965. Overclocking it will allow you to get more out of it, while the 2120 isn't much of an overclocker due to the way Intel integrated the NB parts into the CPU.

diako_lorddm

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I ask again :
can u tell me why 2100 is winner with just 2 cores ?
if next generation games (for example 3 years later) use quad and 6 cores then will 2100 loses to 965 ?
HOW CAN 2 CORE WIN 4 CORE ?
AND HOW CAN 4 CORE WIN 6 CORE ?

D

Deleted member 217926

The 2100 wins with 2 real cores and 2 virtual cores ( Hyperthreading). Intel is just that far ahead of AMD in their manufacturing process and chip architecture that their dual core actually beats AMD's 6 core chips in quite a few benchmarks. AMD chips are stuck around Intel's Core2 chips from 2006 in their clock for clock efficiency. I would get the Intel chip myself. Or if you can afford it get the Intel 2500K for the best gaming chip on the market.

Straw1239

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
For Most games the i3 will be slightly better, but if you want to run things in the background go with the phenom.
It should no matter too much though, as most games are more graphics than cpu intensive, and both will run pretty much all the modern games with a good graphics card. I might wait for Llano or Bulldozer to come out; with Llano you would pretty much have a Radeon 5650 as your graphics card, which would handle most games (not crysis) on good settings.
A bulldozer 4 or 6 core would also be good , with its turbo core feature.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Number of cores does not at all dictate anything.Core efficiency and core utilization are also dominating factors when it comes to performance.Bus architecture is also a prominent role in determining performance.AMD is at least two generations late when it comes to architecture compared to intel.How can you AMD win when they havent even improve any part of their architecture in the last two generations.Cache algorithms and cache efficency all go into play.
Creating only one type of cpu architecture can bring Intel to spend billions of dollars.So dont think Cpu is about cores and cores alone.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Core is considered a processor itself infact.The fact that nowadays we have what we call multiprocessor chips mean that we have more than 1 processing unit in one cpu.A cpu alone with mutiple processing unit can alone be considered a core in computer terminology.Core isnt what its cut out to be.