Computer was working fine. Suddenly won't boot.

Hello forum,

I have a computer that I recently built.

It's been working fine, but it went into sleep mode earlier and then I couldn't get it to come out. So, I powered it down and turned it back on, and now it won't POST. I get no video signal to the monitor.

About a week and a half ago I added in a RAM stick, but it didn't cause any problems during the installation. I suppose I could try removing the stick and see what happens.

A note: This happened to me a few weeks ago, one time. When it didn't boot that time, I unplugged everything from the computer, and then it booted fine. When I plugged everything back in, it stayed fine. I tried that this time as well, but no dice.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Ok, so I waited about 5 minutes with the computer unplugged, and then I gave it another go. It POSTed fine and I'm back in business. It gave me a message saying that it failed to come out of sleep mode, or something to that effect, and that I could try to use the previous data it had saved related to that sleep state, or that I could just boot windows fresh. I first tried using the previous data and it failed to boot; it started "resuming windows" but then the signal from the monitor went away and the system just sat there. When I tried booting fresh, it was fine.

So this is the second time now then, that my computer has gone into sleep mode (actually, I guess it might be hibernating, I'm not sure.) and then wouldn't POST when I tried to wake it up. Any idea what could be cause of this unstable behavior? There are plenty of times when it goes into sleep / hibernate and it comes out just fine.

Thanks for any insight.
2 answers Last reply
More about computer working fine suddenly boot
  1. Change the low power setting in the BIOS to S1 from S3, change the power settings in the OS to never hibernate... just shut down the video and drives after a period of time...
  2. kortheo said:
    Hello forum,

I have a computer that I recently built.

It's been working fine, but it went into sleep mode earlier and then I couldn't get it to come out. So, I powered it down and turned it back on, and now it won't POST. I get no video signal to the monitor.

About a week and a half ago I added in a RAM stick, but it didn't cause any problems during the installation. I suppose I could try removing the stick and see what happens.

A note: This happened to me a few weeks ago, one time. When it didn't boot that time, I unplugged everything from the computer, and then it booted fine. When I plugged everything back in, it stayed fine. I tried that this time as well, but no dice.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem as this. Did you do anything to permanently fix it?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Sleep Mode Computer Boot Systems