Bluescreen trying to watch blurays...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFRY

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Problem Components/ Info:

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.0Ghz
Dual EVGA GTX 470's (stock 607Mhz core clock, 1674Mhz memory clock)
ASUS P6X58D-E
XFX 850W Black Edition
LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Odrive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
HAF 932 Case with the case fans still intact minus the top fan which I replaced with a 3 fan rad for the CPU loop

***As far as I know, all drivers are up to date (Windows, mobo, graphics, etc.)
For playing the blurays I've been using PowerDVD 8, monitoring the CPU temps with ASUS Probe II, and using EVGA Precision for the graphics cards.***

Hey there, last month I purchased all the parts to make my new rig. I put it together, ran it perfectly for 2 or 3 weeks with absolutely no problems even after I installed the water cooling CPU loop; life was good.

I hadn't had much time to really get down and dirty with it previously however; school is a pain schedule wise this semester. So in my haste to get the PC running and make sure everything was up to par and that no part returns or any extra maintenance was required, I neglected to put much effort into the cable management.

Getting on to the problem, last week I went back into to re-manage the cables. After doing so (the only two cables I actually had to replace were the HDD power cables) I obviously double checked to make sure everything was where it should be, and closed it up. When I turned it on, everything was fine, games ran just as well, temperatures for the CPU and graphics cards were normal (I had only played video games this far after the re-manage) and I assumed that everything was alright.

That is until I tried playing a bluray I had already watched pre-re-manage. About a minute in the movie froze, and I got a particularly nasty blue screen (the sounds from the movie bugged and killed my ears :p). The culprit was apparently the nv1ddmkm.sys driver, I will post the entire message in a second.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000094, 0xFFFFF8800FF3S3DB, 0xFFFFF88002507468, 0xFFFFF88002506CD0)

*** nv1ddmkm.sys - Address FFFFF8800FF3A3DB base at FFFFF8800FE7A000, Datestamp 4c37918e

I've tried several quick options to see what the problem actually is so far, including playing a DVD on the same bluray drive, using the same software, which worked fine. Also in the time it has been a problem I have installed a few programs via CDs. The drive itself doens't seem to be a problem. Also, the graphics cards aren't getting particularly hot. I tried to overheat them with Metro 2033 to get a full load for a few hours they never went into the 90's C, not to mention I can do anything other than that graphically without any problems.

With the processor, originally I had overclocked it to 4 Ghz, it was stable as far as I could tell (I only had enough time to test it with 4 hours of prime95, during which the max temp was only ever 69 degrees C on the hottest core). I hadn't however tested the RAM so I thought maybe I messed up the timing of it or something. When I turned everything back to stock settings and timings however, the bluescreen persisted.

Next I tried uninstalling the display drivers, using CCleaner. Again, this didn't fix anything. Also reformatting the HDDs completely proved unsuccessful as well.

So now I'm on a bit of a break and want to tackle this problem, my noob computer skills and knowledge aren't cutting it anymore. I really have no idea what the problem could be if a complete reformat and reinstall of every driver doesn't fix the error, or that the hardware is doing (other than this very specific case of playing blurays) what it is supposed to do.

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated... This is getting to be a huge thorn in my side (this rig was effing expensive for me). I just want it to work! Let me know if you need any other information that I have missed.

Thanks for your help,
GFRY

P.S., it does this for every bluray, not just the specific one I was trying to watch when this first happened.

I have a feeling, that the LG drive has a new firmware out for that particular model, I think it's be worth the try.
Plus another point, have you connected the audio out of your BRD to the audio pins on the Mobo or sound card?
I'd give it a try by removing the audio connector off the Drive if it was connected....
Actually run a few tests on the drive , that's where the problem is, also try using VLC player to play a BR in the same drive.
Does it crash, freeze ? send a feedback....

HaakonXCI

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Might be worth a try if you got the beta drivers for your GPU. Here's a snip from the release notes:

"Blu-ray 3D

Adds support for playing back Blu-ray 3D discs when connecting your GPU to an HDMI 1.4 3D TV. Playback requires compatible software application from CyberLink, ArcSoft, Roxio, or Corel. For more information, NVIDIA Blu-ray 3D website.
HD Audio

Adds lossless DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD audio bitstreaming support for compatible Blu-ray movies with GeForce GTX 460 GPUs*.
Adds high definition 24-bit, 96 and 192 KHz multi-channel audio sampling rate support for compatible Blu-ray movies with GeForce GTX 400 Series ,GT 240, GT 220 and 210 GPUs*.
Upgrades HD Audio driver to version 1.1.9.0.
*Note: A Blu-ray movie player update may be required to enable these new features; check with your movie players software manufacturers for more details.These features are only supported on Windows 7."

It it says theres some "bug fixes" not listed in there and refers to further documentation but might have a fix for your issue. I don't really know but it could possibly be some other things like an outdated driver for audio too. Just a suggestion anyways.

GFRY

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Alright guys, thanks for the speedy responses, fell asleep a bit too easily last night :p. Anyways I tried individual sticks of ram as someone suggested (in different slots as well); sorry can't really see your name right now as I'm typing this from my phone. No luck, each and every time the same bluescreen happened. To to person who suggested trying a different player, I tried using VLC but I'm assuming that it only plays unencrypted blurays, at least from what I've researched about it, so I'm not entirely sure how to get it to work as the blurays are store bought.

I am currently running several memtest loops (that's why I'm on the phone) and so far after one loop with one stick there were no errors, I'll update you when I'm fully done testing it though. The stick with no errors also caused a bluescreen however so I'm not optimistic that this is the problem.

Also, someone suggested fiddling around with the actual drive, as far as I know /found out there is only one sata coming from the drive, and seeing as how the drive performs normally with the exception of bluray playback I'm not entirely sure what to expect. I did fiddle though and the problem occurred anyways.

Finally, my gpu drivers were 258.96, I don't know if these are beta or not, but I have tried this both with the default realtek audio drivers and also the audio for my fatality pro sound card, which was updated to the latest. I'm not sure if the realtek ones were the newest however. I'm really not sure where to find that out honestly, so if this is what you are suggesting I'll be glad to try it out once I'm done with the memtest :p

Any other ideas to try once I get control of my computer back anyone?

GFRY

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
That totally worked... After running memtest for like 4 hours and finding no errors, went and installed those drivers and it works perfectly now... I can't tell you how much of a relief this is thank you sooooo much this has been bugging the crap out of me for a good 2 weeks! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.