Sign in with
Your question

What do you do to your pc when you're away from it? sleep, shut down?

Last response: in Components
March 7, 2011 8:40:48 PM

sleep, shut it down, hibernate, etc. what do you choose and why?

More about : sleep shut

March 7, 2011 8:45:17 PM

I either leave it running or shut it down depending about how long I am going away. I gave up on sleep mode or any other power savings modes like shut off HDD, monitor and etc years ago, ending to reboot at least half the time because something did not function properly.
m
l
March 7, 2011 8:50:09 PM

rolli59 said:
I either leave it running or shut it down depending about how long I am going away. I gave up on sleep mode or any other power savings modes like shut off HDD, monitor and etc years ago, ending to reboot at least half the time because something did not function properly.

interesting i have never had this problem. what in particular
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2011 8:54:12 PM

Most of the time hibernate since it uses the same power as shut down and is power out proof.

Started using that years back with my laptop(since it will not kill the batter in this mode where as sleep slowly eats the battery.), now I even use it on desktops.

My MCE is the only 24/7 system I have.

EDIT, my only issue with sleep, is it sometimes wakes up, had to make sure lots of stuff was told not to allow wake up. MCE remotes being a big one(cause any remote or even turning on a light can trigger that to wake the system).
m
l
March 7, 2011 8:56:42 PM

Power savings, sometimes not able to access other drives except OS drive, monitor not responding, mouse pointer erratic sometimes same symptoms coming out of sleep mode but mostly giving up waiting for it to wake up watching the bar at the bottom of the screen.
m
l
March 7, 2011 8:58:12 PM

depends on what im doing. im im pitching a loaf naturally im coming right back. but if im going to sleep ill set utorrent to finish downloads and shutdown upon completion. otherwise ill shut it down completely because i believe in saving HD space by disable hibernation etc (not to mention if i have a security issue itll keep hax0rs out if the comp is shut off).
m
l
March 7, 2011 9:01:15 PM

With the days of 1000gig drives for under 60-70$i think I can spare the 12 gigs for hibernate :) . Back with my old laptop it was only 512 so it was all good then too...
m
l
March 7, 2011 9:48:39 PM

Sleep. It is very quick to sleep, and to wake up.

I will usually have nothing running that I would not be able to restart.

For those whe find that their pc wakes up unexpectedly, check windows and the bios. I only allow the keyboard to wake it up.

Also, keep the room closed so cats can't walk on the keyboard.
m
l
March 7, 2011 9:57:46 PM

sHUT IT DOWN.
m
l
March 7, 2011 10:50:27 PM

I turn off monitor after 15 minutes.
m
l
March 7, 2011 11:14:59 PM

Folding, folding, and more folding. I used to sleep it when I didn't do Folding@home.
m
l
March 7, 2011 11:31:04 PM

I never shut down, my system only gets restarted during updates. Otherwise its running 24/7.
There is a big war called
For Longer Life Span
Shutdown PC when not in use or keep always on

Well, im on the "Keep always on" side, thermal expansion...etc. IMO PC's are designed to be on, if your PC runs all the time, at a constant stable and good temperature, I think thermal expansion of on/offs is more harmful. Also, the energy is insignificant...your Heat/AC/Kitchen Appliances take up 99.999999999999% of your energy, the other 0.00000000001% is all your other electronics.

-I don't hibernate because my SSD is only 80GB and a HB file takes up lots of space
-I don't sleep, or standby for same reason as I dont shutdown, as explained above.
m
l
March 8, 2011 12:34:45 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I never shut down, my system only gets restarted during updates. Otherwise its running 24/7.
There is a big war called
For Longer Life Span
Shutdown PC when not in use or keep always on

Well, im on the "Keep always on" side, thermal expansion...etc. IMO PC's are designed to be on, if your PC runs all the time, at a constant stable and good temperature, I think thermal expansion of on/offs is more harmful. Also, the energy is insignificant...your Heat/AC/Kitchen Appliances take up 99.999999999999% of your energy, the other 0.00000000001% is all your other electronics.

-I don't hibernate because my SSD is only 80GB and a HB file takes up lots of space
-I don't sleep, or standby for same reason as I dont shutdown, as explained above.

interesting. can you share some good links with this argument (both sides of the argument) i'd like to read about it.
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:04:29 PM

I do not have a link for it, yet, but the common belief is that since when anything gets hot it expands and when it cools down it contracts. This leads many users to prefer leaving systems on since it means less heat cool cycles.

The same can be said for a hard drive. Hard drives have a listing of how many times the drive heads are designed to be loaded on to the drive platter and unloaded to the park position. The belief here is the same, less load, unloads = longer drive life.

On the other side of things we have users who want to shut off a system to extend its life based on other factors.

Every component has a MTBF(time between failures). For the users on the shut it off side, this is a the main reason, but saving power or hugging a tree can be another reason

So this kind of users wants to not run the system when its not in use. The should extend component life.

To be honest, i have never had issues with either way. None of my 24/7 systems have failed and off when not in use systems have been about the same. Not to say i have not seen a hard drive fail here and there, but nothing out of the normal failure rate of hard drives them selves.
m
l
March 8, 2011 7:11:38 PM

rajohns08 said:
interesting. can you share some good links with this argument (both sides of the argument) i'd like to read about it.

Google it. There are plenty of information everywhere about it. And as the guy above said. That pretty much sums it up.
m
l
!