Making my new computer...

kkwik28

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hello, I'm currently going to make a new computer. I currently have an OEM computer with Windows Vista, and I will be placing my currenct HD in the new computer. If I order the recovery disc from manufactor, will that work in reinstalling Vista with my new motherboard?

Your old HDD has Windows Vista on it and it also has all your drivers on it from the old PC parts, Its best to do a clean install of Vista or Windows 7 on the new PC. The OEM recovery disc would also have the system drivers and info from the old PC, you would run into conflicts if you build a new PC and try to use that recovery disc.

IMO go buy a OEM ver of Windows 7

I might be wrong but i think the OEM recovery disc are linked to that PCs mobo, it may it might not work. but IMO you are asking for problems with the system even if it did work. That would mean you will have 2 differnt drivers for the same thing in your system, and that would be a bloody mess.

We all know times are hard right now but the right thing to do is buy a new OS, the OEM recovery disc is meant for that PC only.

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Even if you order the recovery disk from the manufacturer, it will most likely also be linked to the motherboard. You'll probably get an error if you try to use it in another computer. There is always a way around stuff if you're willing to spend the time researching it (and you're up to the challenge!)

I had an old HP Pavilion with Windows 98, and was able to hack the recovery disk using a brute force password cracker. Once I had the password for the disk, it was just a matter of copying the Windows files to a new disk.

Now Windows validates your installation. Whether you buy a new OEM copy or get it on a prebuilt, it is only meant for that system. I had to call support when I replaced the mobo in my Win 7 comp after I had validated my copy. They let me transfer it, but that may not always be the case!

kkwik28

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I understand what u guys are saying about the motherboard being linked. I just want to reinstall Vista, which that basically does. Then I'd add the new driver from the new motherboard, and everything else of course. So that would remove the older motherboard driver and add the new one, wouldn't it?

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
It's not just about the drivers anymore. Windows takes a "snapshot" of your computer (mobo, cpu, ram, hdd, etc.) and sends it in to MS. When you try to validate it with a different mobo, it will not let you because your copy is only meant for the computer it was sold with.