Closed Solved

Graphic Card for OLD PC please?

Hey everyone...
i got a really old rig.
its P4 3.07GHz, Intel D101GGCL, 1GB DDR RAM [yes DDR1, i know it sucks, you are welcome to abuse me]], Onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 200 - 256MB
and a 250W PSU.

The motherboard has 1 PCI Express x16 and 1 PCI Express x1 connectors.

1] I want to purchase a graphic card that will fit inside these. Please suggest me the best without adding anything more to the PC.

2] Will that card ADD TO MY 256MB of the onboard graphic card memory?

3] I would prefer a 1GB card.

4] I want to play most of the modern games... if not the extreme ones.

PLEASE suggest me a graphic card I can add. I do not want to modify anything else.
Please.
I need this.
46 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphic card please
  1. yaaa i do have a PCI Express 16x !!!

wont that help?

any GPU for which 250W psu might be enough???
  2. Welcome to the forums.

1. Pfuu..i don't think it's worth investing in that PC anymore. A 9500gt will not have enough power from that 250w PSU.
    2. no
    3. you do not need a 1gb card unless you go over 1680x1050.
    4. You can not do that with your current hardware.

That's my personal opinion.
    You could try to rise a little more money and get a cheap core 2 duo based system or AMD witch would be much more powerful then your PC.
  3. oh...
    well... currently.. i cant spend in anything other than a card ... am not a high end gamer really...
    so can you guys please suggest which card i could fit in?
    if i could upgrade my PSU for cheap am willing to do that too though... i dont want to change my entire system for now...
    and if its relevant... my monitor is AOC E936SWa - LED ... it gives me 1366X768.
  4. if i get a 512MB card or 256MB card.... will it ADD TO my onboard 256MB memory from the ATI X200
  5. upto $100 [Rs. 5000] maxed out.
  6. @dipankar...
    whats the minimum thing i can do?
    am not looking for a high end rig... but only to upgrade to make it as good as i can within the same configs...
    please suggest the best card i could get under it...?
    and i will try to get a 400W PSU if it fits in the cabinet...
    please tell me about some card for now though...
    and thanks a lot man... i wasnt aware of the PSU thing and was convinced on getting a 1GB card till last night...
  7. Try a 9500gt, or something like that. With a better card the CPU will not have the power to keep up, even more the RAM.
    Don't spend extra on a 1gb card, buy a 512mb.

EDIT:
    Found something better: http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1911&category_id=129&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Rs. 3,530.00

you just need to find a power supply for 1470..
  8. You would likely find the NVidia 9000 series to be inline with budget and performance. As ionut19 stated, a 9500gt would work and provide some improvement.
  9. the gt220 uses 58w max. try the 5570 which uses 42w max and also gives better performance then a gt220.
  10. infernox_01 said:
    the gt220 uses 58w max. try the 5570 which uses 42w max and also gives better performance then a gt220.

Looking at $100 budget, he would benefit from sources.
  11. alright!!!
    k guys..
    i visited my loocal dealers...
    am getting a 400W PSU for quite cheap.
    so now.. please suggest me a final card fr the following:

P4 3.07GHz,
    Intel D101GGCL,
    1GB DDR RAM [yes DDR1, i know it sucks, you are welcome to abuse me]],
    Onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 200 - 256MB

New PSU=400W

graphic card fr this setup= __________________???

[keeping in mind RAM stays DDR1 & 1GB. cant upgrade due to budget.]
    [Yes, please abuse me for that. i deserve it.]

also, in any way can i "ADD TO" my onboard 256MB Xpress200 memory???
  12. Quote:
    alright!!!
    also, in any way can i "ADD TO" my onboard 256MB Xpress200 memory???

no idea why you want to do that. it wont change anything. whats your budget now? the 5570 i recommended earlier was rs.4600

http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3025&category_id=148&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

its not a great deal since you can get a 5670 for 150 rupees more.

http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=2889&category_id=132&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

the problem is your pentium 4 processor which will bottleneck both these cards.
  13. ok...
    due to further cut in my budget - :@ , the final choice i got now is

ATI Radeon HD4350
    or
    Nvidia GeForce 9500GT

Both are 1GB cards DDR2.
    am putting a 400W PSU with it.
    Both coming for Rs. 3000 [about $60].
    am purchasing it in 3-4days.

My dealers say they are the maxed out options for my config.
    But they are not as informative as you guys... [-RESPECT]
    so please tell me if its the right choice

any other option???

or is this ok???
  14. Quote:
    alright!!!
    k guys..
    i visited my loocal dealers...
    am getting a 400W PSU for quite cheap.
    so now.. please suggest me a final card fr the following:

This is going to come back to haunt you.. unless your lucky...

What is the name of the PSU?
  15. PSU: IBall LPS223-400
    Dealer says its 400W model

The main thing is:
    I need to use this PC for a year... not for "really high end gaming as such"
    After that...
    I am keeping this PC forever my mom. she will use it ONLY for watching videos... and surfing the net a bit...
    so the graphic card i get now should be HD-ready if not Blue-Ray, BUT some medium level gaming for me for a year.
    That's all.
    The cards you guys suggested are capable of that.
    So i don't want to put in more for a higher PSU.

So is the PSU okay for now?
  16. Quote:
    PSU: IBall LPS223-400
    Dealer says its 400W model

The main thing is:
    I need to use this PC for a year... not for "really high end gaming as such"
    After that...
    I am keeping this PC forever my mom. she will use it ONLY for watching videos... and surfing the net a bit...
    so the graphic card i get now should be HD-ready if not Blue-Ray, BUT some medium level gaming for me for a year.
    That's all.
    The cards you guys suggested are capable of that.
    So i don't want to put in more for a higher PSU.

So is the PSU okay for now?

Iball is very very bad... hold on let me pull up something on it

Well if its your only choice go with the ATI Radeon HD4350 ..

It has lower power requirements..

Good luck, and pray that it works...
  17. I just can't see why no one is suggesting a GT 240 ddr5 512MB @4.5-5k.Many of my friends run it on 250W PSUs,the only problem they face is 'loud noise',nothing gets cut performance wise.It runs gr8 and very quiet on 400W PSUs.

You say you need a 1GB card, no GPU for this rig and such low cost will have the power to use 1GB vram memory.
    Go for the gt 240,you won't need anything else,it will also give your system much needed boost and run applications faster.Its also much faster than a Radeon HD 4350.

Moreover you can search about the gt 240 on any site and you will find that this is a low profile high performance card that is meant to run on even lower standard PCs than yours.

uh.. wat else do you need to know?
  18. Because it is too powerful for his PC. The biggest drawback there is that ddr1 RAM not the CPU.
    I suggested a gt220 above.

And vis_forever try to buy a card that has DDR3 not DDR2 because the speed difference is kind of big.
    Any of those cards but with DDR3 if it is possible.
  19. but is my processor enough to handle anything above DDR2 ???
  20. my processor is 64-bit Pentium 4
    but single core
  21. the 9500gt is the better card out of the 2.
  22. so i shouldnt try for DDR3?
  23. infernox_01 said:
    the 9500gt is the better card out of the 2.

Ok then.I think its better to go for the gt 220 for the 9500 may be a better gaming card,but its not HD.But before that the ddr3/ddr2 needs to be taken care of.
  24. Better still go for the 9600GT, it's HD, it's everything that you're looking for and doesn't need any extra power to go with it.....
    Or You could go for Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5450 11166-08 1GB DDR2 Graphics Card
  25. alyoshka said:
    Better still go for the 9600GT, it's HD, it's everything that you're looking for and doesn't need any extra power to go with it.....
    Or You could go for Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5450 11166-08 1GB DDR2 Graphics Card

There is a big performance difference between 9600 GT and HD 5450.I've used 5450, and I'll suggest please don't go for it doesn't make any difference in graphics of any system.
  26. Quote:
    but is my processor enough to handle anything above DDR2 ???

Ok, let me clarify things for you. In a computer there are 2 different types of RAM. The ram stick that goes into your motherboard and the RAM from the video card. The CPU has nothing to do with the RAM from the video card.

As for the RAM that goes into your motherboard if and only if the motherboard can support DDR2 you can buy DDR2 but if you have DDR1 then there is a low chance the motherboard has 2 types of slots. The DDR 2 stick can not fit into a DDR1 slot.

And with video cards DDR2 give you less performance than the cards that have DDR3 RAM.
  27. i have a feeling he wont buy from internet shops. i couldnt find a gt220 or a 9600gt for rs.3000 since they said to call for pricing.

i did find a HD4650 ddr2 for rs.3471

http://techshop.in/store/powercolor-radeon-hd4650-ax4650-1gbd2h-hd4650-ddr2-graphics-card-buy-online-india-p-4112.html?cPath=320_4

there was a gt220 on this site also at rs.3867

http://techshop.in/store/palit-nvidia-geforce-ddr2-graphics-card-buy-online-india-p-4183.html?cPath=320_4
  28. ^- you read my mind!!!

i am not purchasing it online... just local at wholesale price...

K i got a great new deal:
    i AM GETTING A 600W PSU!!!
    but rest stays the same...

and so the final *** is--- which card?

@ionut- some one previously said my config might not be enough for a DDR3 card...
  29. ^whoa!!!
    slang "excreta" is censored?
    sorry. i didnt know... am new here...
  30. Best answer
    out of the 9500gt and 4350, the 9500gt is the better gaming card.
  31. and allllllll the local dealers tell me that my system is NOT enough /compatible for a DDR3 card...
    is that true?
  32. well you can put a ddr3 graphics card in your system, its just most ddr3 graphics card will make no difference as the processor and ddr1 ram will limit them. a 9500gt ddr3 will work better then a ddr2 9500gt. a ddr3 9500gt is similar in performance to a HD4650 ddr2.
  33. k ending questi0n:

with a fina| 600W PSU -
    ch0ices- gef0rce 9500gt 0r rade0n hd4350

and preferred 9500gt
    a|| 0kay?

am buying this by m0nday/tuesday
    s0 p|ease c0nfirm 1 |ast time
  34. Quote:
    k ending questi0n:

with a fina| 600W PSU -
    ch0ices- gef0rce 9500gt 0r rade0n hd4350

and preferred 9500gt
    a|| 0kay?

am buying this by m0nday/tuesday
    s0 p|ease c0nfirm 1 |ast time

after reading this all i can say is to get the 600w psu and 9500gt gcard,,,then watch a few youtube videos on system building so you dont blow yourself up.
  35. ok i have been asking around and few people on techspot.com say that i should stick to ATI Radeon since my onboard is ATI Radeon ... so it does not conflict with the brand ***...
    and also that i might have to do some disabling of the onboard card and change some BIOS settings before i pout the new one...

personally i have no idea whether to believe that or not.

so you guys decide for me.
    What should I do ?
  36. in dell's it happens automatically (disabling onboard video)
  37. no idea y they told you that. most of us have onboard intel cards but run nvidia/ati gfx cards. just get the 9500gt, you have the receipt if anything goes wrong.
  38. ok then...
    i will be getting the 9500GT with a 600W PSU.

am purchasing it this week itself.
    will let you guys know for sure.

owe it to you all!
    thanks a lot people!

toms hardware rocks the hardest!
  39. Hey guys!!!
    thanks a lot for all your help~!!

i got the 9500GT!~
    just installed it...

i have a small question:
    as i had an onboard ati radeon X200, it used to share my RAM.
    so i UNinstalled the old ATI drivers, went to bios settings and reduced shared video memory thing to as less as 32MB too, made my 9500GT as primary adapter.

isnt there any way how i could use my complete RAM?
    its 1 GB only... so with 32 sharing its showing 992MB.
    how can i use the complete 1 GB?

the PC seems to have some trouble sometimes to compute that 992MB size... startup seems to be a bit slow.

Please HELP.!
  40. just disable memory share in the bios so nothing is shared
  41. i couldnt find an option to completely disable it...
    it gives me options:
    32MB
    64MB
    128MB
    256MB

and I am forced to choose one.

I run a Pentium 4 on Intel D101GGC.
  42. i even unistalled and disabled the onboard card.
    i even uninstalled the chipset driver...
    still no luck...

any way i can get my complete 1 GB RAM?
  43. " that was just a suggestion "
    don't know if i am wrong ,,,,,,,,,,,, but there's no need to worry if its showing 992 mb of ram.
    for a 9500gt 1gig of video ram is not necessary as it cant utilize it .

however if you are so very worried about the memory thing u can add another gig of ram that will make it 2gb of system memory . the card is turbo cache it will extract some ram and will jump to i guess 1.5gb may be

AGAIN its based on my PERSONAL knowledge it can be wrong
  44. Best answer selected by vis_forever.
  45. ok someone please mark this thread as "SOLVED"...
    i couldn't find it...

Thanks a lot everyone!
  46. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics