Closed Solved

Win7 doesn't recognize second video card

MB: ASUS P7P55D-E
Video Card #1 PCI-E 2.0 x16: EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460
Video Card #2 PCI-E 2.0 x4: SPARKLE SX84GS256D2LDPP GeForce 8400 GS
O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium

I just installed the 8400GS so I can drive a 3rd monitor. But Device Manager doesn't see the new card, only the GTX460. Is there anything special I need to do to enable the 2nd video card?

I was assuming Win7 was gonna automatically pick up the second card. I originally had a ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card but it turned out that was incompatible with Win7 but at least it showed up as a Standard VGA Adapter. I bought the Sparkle just for the 3rd monitor.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about win7 doesn recognize video card
  1. Best answer
    Have you tried the 8400 in all the spare slots?
  2. Hi mousemonkey,

There are only 2 compatible PCI-E slots in the P7P55D-E. The other slots are either x1 or plain PCI slots.

I will give using just the Sparkle as a primary card a shot.

Mousemonkey said:
    Have you tried the 8400 in all the spare slots?
  3. There has been a few people with issues installing a second card by the same designer (Nvidia/ATI). I don't know if this is a driver issue or not, you could try using older drivers to see if that works.
  4. There are four of those mobo's, which one do you have?
  5. He probably has the P7P55D-E PRO which only has two PCI-Ex16 length slots.
  6. Don't plan to do SLI so didn't go for the Pro to save some dollars.

deweycd said:
    He probably has the P7P55D-E PRO which only has two PCI-Ex16 length slots.
  7. Alright, did you try switching the cards yet?
  8. That link is to the Xfire board, no mention of SLi ability. That should still work though as the two cards are not SLi'ble.
  9. I just tried booting up with 8400GS in the x4 slot (just pulled the 2 video cables from the GTX460). Monitor did not come on.

Then I tried making the 8400GS the primary in the x16 slot (GTX460 not installed). Monitor still doesn't come up. MB beeped twice but I heard the Win7 welcome screen sound so it looks like it booted to Windows.

At this point, I'm thinking it's a defective card and going to RMA it.

1. Would it better to go with another EVGA card? I want cheap but compatible.
    2. Should I do PCI Express x1? Or PCI? Wondering if saving the x4 slot might not be a good idea.
  10. It does sound defective, you should RMA it. You should stick with a PCI-E card if your going cheap, it will save you problems.
  11. I noticed there was a connector of some type. Not sure what it is. No docs or cables were provided.

12. Should I go PCI-E x1 instead of x4?

deweycd said:
    It does sound defective, you should RMA it. You should stick with a PCI-E card if your going cheap, it will save you problems.
  13. Graphics cards come with a PCI-E x16 connector reguardless, you won't find a PCI-E x1 or PCI-E x4 graphics card.
  14. Find out what the connector was. It's power for a fan if needed.
  15. Bought a EVGA Nvidia 210. Installed right away. Thumbs Up!

Many thanks for quick responses and helpful suggestions!
  16. Best answer selected by PotOdds.
  17. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics Cards Geforce PCI Express Graphics Product