Strange new blinking error (search-ms:)

G

Hi. Today I started getting a strange new error in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my desktop pc. I tried to fix it with a clean install, but it appeared right away even without connecting to the internet.

The error appears when I let the screen go to standby mode (default 10 minutes).

The error is a window opening (like a folder/search/explorer window) The window that opens is now flashing, with the text "search-ms:" in the search field (most of the time). You can't just close the window, or even use other programs, although sometimes you can.

I've checked my computer for virus/spyware/etc, and even deleted all my partitions, and performed a clean install without internet connection. Same error.

I've never seen this error before, and I find it weird that it appears after a clean install too.

G

It was suggested to me that it might be a keyboard error, since it resemblems the interval of a key that is stuck.

Wellit could be, that illegal copy could be infected in the .iso with an advanced rootkit. Rootkits can alter the actual OS, even down to the kernel (the root).

---

or the keyboard is malfunctioning, like a stuck key or spilled coffee : )

Other than that, I don't have any idea what it could be. Sorry.

G

ooooh... well it's definitely not the Windows. And I haven't spilled anything on the keyboard (Logitech G110), but it could just be malfunctioning. I don't have a spare keyboard, but I will just unplug it next time it happens, and I can see if that changes anything :)

G

Yeah I really like it too.

What do you mean by "set point"?

G

ooooh lol... yes it is. But I haven't even installed it. This error occours even with a completely clean install of Windows, no drivers or anything.

G

Just to sum up, the error hasn't reappeared since I pushed my hands on the keyboard to puss all the buttons, hoping that it would fix any stuck keys. So that was probably it :)

TRENDING THREADS