Sign in with
Your question

Is there a practical use for USB 3.0 besides external hard drives?

Last response: in Components
March 8, 2011 12:09:16 AM

For example, if I plug an Ipod into a USB 3.0 port, it is my understanding that the transfer rates will be of a 2.0 rate because the Ipod is a USB 2.0 product? Is this correct?

So what devices are out there, besides external hard drives, are useful on 3.0?

More about : practical usb external hard drives

March 8, 2011 12:23:57 AM

1) You are correct with the iPod running at USB 2.0, as it does not support USB 3.0.

2) I haven't really see any other device using USB 3.0 besides external drives. Currently, the most practical use is as an external storage / network drive were information is quickly transferred or backed up on the drive. It can become a more useful tool for other devices, as they adapt the USB 3.0 standard.
m
l
July 31, 2011 8:31:19 AM

i must admit that i have been looking for a case for my first build and while i have been impressed with some cases having more than one usb 3.0 on the front i/o port, apart from my iPhone i too have wondered what other devices get plugged in there. you've asked a good question as i feel you've beaten me to it. even if you are to plug an external hard drive in there, i'd that be plugged in at the rear as i for one don't like to see trailing wires sticking out in front of me. the iPod / iPhone wire is only temporary measure as probably aleady know.
m
l
Related resources
!