Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a separate graphics card to edit AVCHD video?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2010 4:19:47 PM

I'm looking to upgrade a 5yr old system and I want to make sure I have enough power to edit AVCHD video.

I WILL NOT DO ANY GAMING WHATSOEVER!

My question is do I need to spend money on a separate graphics card or will the integrated graphics on whatever Mobo I get be enough? I get the sense that the CPU is most important for video editing and encoding performance.

I've been reading various arguments between ATI and Nvidia cards, but I want to know if I even need one at all? Again, I will never be gaming so I don't care about Crysis framerates or whatever......

Thanks in advance
October 15, 2010 5:17:31 PM

In short, no. CS4 and CS5 (and I'm sure others programs) do have features to accelerate certain tasks via the GPU, but for the most part, it's all CPU bound.
m
l
October 15, 2010 6:24:52 PM

And is this also the case for AVCHD playback I'd assume? Like if I want to playback 1080p60 format, as long as my CPU is kick-arse then I'm fine?

I'd rather put more money into a better CPU that can do the encoding faster if all the graphics cards are really necessary for is gaming. I've got a PS3 for that and I hardly find the time to game on it.....

m
l
!