Three monitor setup help!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • TV
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2010 4:45:20 PM

Hi, I currently use two monitors, one being a 27" tv and the other being a 19" 4:3 monitor, both running off of vga > dvi converters on a single evga 8800GT.

I am buying a new tv... around 47" 1080p that will be going above the 27" tv. I want the ability to use the 27" and 19" monitors for regular computer use... and then have the ability to mirror the 27" monitor on the new 47" tv.

1. Will i need to buy a second 8800GT and put them in an SLI configuration to power three monitors at the same time?
2. The 27" is only 720p and runs at a resolution of 1360x768 and the 47" will be running 1080p at 1920x1080. When mirroring the 27" onto the 47" will there be any display problems?
3. Would the best solution be to some sort of video splitter that splits the monitor output to the two tvs and then hook up the 19" monitor into the other dvi port?
4. I have a blu-ray drive and need the ability to have full 1080p on the 47" tv.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

More about : monitor setup

a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 15, 2010 4:55:18 PM

8800GT's in SLi cannot run three monitors, you would have to run them as single cards.
Score
October 15, 2010 6:25:52 PM

1. Ok so I'm going to have to get another card and run them independently?

2. Does the second card I get have to be the same model as the first?

3. Will I be able to extend my desktop across all three (one monitor will be above the primary and the other monitor will be to the right of the primary). If so, will I be able to extend it horizontally and vertically like the monitors are arranged or will I have to configure windows to see them only as a horizontal extension?

4. What will be the best type of connection to use when connecting the computer to the new tv to ensure full 1080p? HDMI would be nice, but my audio uses optical and both will be going through a receiver. The receiver I have will expect the audio to be coming through the hdmi cable as well therefore if I hook up the audio and video to the receiver under the same input I will not get sound. Is component a viable option? Will I have over/under scan issues?

5. Any other suggestions or possible issues?
Score
Related resources
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 15, 2010 6:46:26 PM

koga73 said:
1. Ok so I'm going to have to get another card and run them independently?

Yes, unless you use a GTX295.

koga73 said:
2. Does the second card I get have to be the same model as the first?

No, but it would make things easier.

koga73 said:
3. Will I be able to extend my desktop across all three (one monitor will be above the primary and the other monitor will be to the right of the primary). If so, will I be able to extend it horizontally and vertically like the monitors are arranged or will I have to configure windows to see them only as a horizontal extension?

I'm not sure about that as I've never tried it myself.

koga73 said:
4. What will be the best type of connection to use when connecting the computer to the new tv to ensure full 1080p? HDMI would be nice, but my audio uses optical and both will be going through a receiver. The receiver I have will expect the audio to be coming through the hdmi cable as well therefore if I hook up the audio and video to the receiver under the same input I will not get sound. Is component a viable option? Will I have over/under scan issues?

Stick with DVI if possible.

koga73 said:
5. Any other suggestions or possible issues?

A pair of 4xx series cards or a GTX295 might make things easier for you but I can't say for sure as I've not tried to do what you are proposing.
Score
October 15, 2010 7:09:38 PM

Awesome thanks for the answers and suggestions!

two more points...

1. I can't use DVI as no hdtvs have DVI ports.
2. I will be keeping the 8800GT. For the new card I will be upgrading to something in the 2 or 4 series. Should I use the new more powerful card to power the two displays I have now (as one of them is my primary used for gaming) and use the 8800GT to power the new tv? Or the other way around?
Score

Best solution

a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 15, 2010 7:18:37 PM

You could use a DVI to HDMI adapter but if you are going to get a 2xx or 4xx card then just use the HDMI from that to the TV and also use the more powerful card to run two of the screens and have the 8800 run solo.
October 25, 2010 3:29:08 PM

Best answer selected by koga73.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2010 4:13:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!