Corsair memory difference (Vengeance vs. XMS3)

gwa000

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I purchased this Corsair RAM from Newegg a few days ago for a system that I'm building since the price dropped from $95 to $80 for 16GB (DDR3 1600).

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233197

Of course, Newegg had some other Corsair RAM on sale the next day for $57 (after $30 rebate).

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233203

What i bought was the Vengeance series which I think is the latest as opposed to the XMS3 series which was on sale.

The spec's for this Vengeance RAM and the XMS3 RAM are identical on Newegg (both 1.5V) although they list XMP support for the Vengeance series but not for the XMS3 (but the Corsair site states that it does support XMP).

The spec's are slightly different on the Corsair web site for the Vengeance RAM

www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory...ann el-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9.html

compared to the XMS3 RAM

www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory...tel-memory-upgrade-kits/cmx8gx3m2a1600c9.html

The main difference I noted is that on the Overview for the XMS3 it states 1.65V. And in the Tech Specs it states that the tested voltage is 1.65 but the SPD voltage is 1.5. My understanding is that if you want to overclock memory you can either raise the voltage or lower the memory timings or both. If that is the case since this memory was tested at 1.65V does that mean that this series is better or at least better for overclocking?

The other thing that leads me to believe that the XMS3 RAM is older or of less quality is that it is $5 (for 8GB) less on the Cosair site.

And finally, the Vengeance overview specifically mentions supporting 2nd generation Intel core (i bought a i5-2500K) and is "great for overclocking".

So based on this which RAM is considered superior, what exactly is the difference between the two, and why for the XMS3 Corsair states that it was tested at 1.65V but the Vengeance was only tested at 1.5V? Or is the XMS3 memory actually designed for pre-Sandy Bridge boards?

Thanks!

Cross-posted to: www.tomshardware.com
Cross-posted to: forums.anandtech.com

Solution
XMS3 has been out since before Sandy Bridge. You made the right choice, as manufacturing quality has probably improved since then, leading to better OC'ing ram at lower voltages.