How much will my case influence temps?

steven0724

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I have been planning my first build for a while now (waiting for Sandy Bridge MOBOs) and I thought I had everything figured out until yesterday. Originally I was going to used an Antec 902 V3 as my case but I just saw the NZXT Blackline and now I can't decide. I love the aesthetics of the Blackline, the temp readout on the case looks like a nice feature, and I think it should house all my parts just fine. The only things is the 902 looks like it would provide better case/component temps. Does anyone have any ideas as to how much cooler the 902 might keep things running? Is it worth it to sacrifice some airflow just because I like the Blackline better? Will another fan or two on the blackline help even things out? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

For the sake of being thorough, here's my tentative build. I am planning a slight overclock to 4-4.2 GHz and will probably add a 2nd GPU in a year or two.

-i5 2500K
-ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
-EVGA GeForce GTX 570
-GSkill Ripjaws 8GB 240 pin DDR3 1600 (2x4GB)
-Corsair HX series 750W
-CM Hyper 212+
-Samsung Spinpoint 1TB

Thanks again
Steve

Solution
No contest the 902v3 hands down!
The Blackline isn't even in the same league.
It has an 80mm top exhaust fan lol!
And 2x120mm fans none of which are front intake.
The 902V3 has a 200mm top exhaust = hot air rises!
2X120mm front intakes and of course a 120mm rear exhaust.
The Blackline has an unfinished interior and the drivemounts(fixed) are visible through the window= uggh!
The 902V3 has a finished interior and not only are the hdd cages not visible they are also removable.
The Antec has a cpu cut-out ,better frontpanel(1xusb3.0),SSD mount.
The NZXT has none of these features.
Btw i have the original 902(exact same fans) and my idle temps are in the low 30's .
5850=32C
1.5TB HD =31C
i7 860 = 33C
It's build quality is excellent and with...
No contest the 902v3 hands down!
The Blackline isn't even in the same league.
It has an 80mm top exhaust fan lol!
And 2x120mm fans none of which are front intake.
The 902V3 has a 200mm top exhaust = hot air rises!
2X120mm front intakes and of course a 120mm rear exhaust.
The Blackline has an unfinished interior and the drivemounts(fixed) are visible through the window= uggh!
The 902V3 has a finished interior and not only are the hdd cages not visible they are also removable.
The Antec has a cpu cut-out ,better frontpanel(1xusb3.0),SSD mount.
The NZXT has none of these features.
Btw i have the original 902(exact same fans) and my idle temps are in the low 30's .
5850=32C
1.5TB HD =31C
i7 860 = 33C
It's build quality is excellent and with 8 fans spinning altogether in my case it's quiet.
Quieter then my CM690II with 5 fans.
For only $10 more the Antec makes the Blackline look like a droopy-eyed armless child.

Solution